What's the craziest bait you've ever used to fish with?

Bassassin

Has anyone ever used a live mouse to fish? I don't know what the regs are for using live or dead mammals for bait. There sure are plenty of them and after all they are vermin. We've heard the urban legend about using live kittens and Gerbils ( different vermin) for Musky. Maybe not so legend, I'm sure some nutbar has.

OK, we used the old tried and true pieces of salami, hot dogs, cheese etc. for panfish as kids and still use shrimp for big cats on the Grand. I like when you can eat your bait. I think the craziest bait I've used is perch eyes for perch icefishing, I don't hear about using them as bait here. Tried a Birch leaf once with a hook and split shot, never got one but my buddy got a bluegill with some type of tree leaf and hook. Was down walking the pier at Dover one morning and picked up a stick that had a piece of line on it with a dried up dead minnow on a hook. Dunked it in the water and pulled up a bluegill. Gave all the tourists a laugh, me too. My wife thinks I'm the best (dead bait and stick fisherman).

What is the craziest bait you've used and actually caught a fish with it? Come on admit it, a live mouse.

I believe but could be wrong, that using any part or whole gamefish is illegal.
That would include fins, eyes, gullet.

Cheers, Clark

I once caught a huge carp on the Thames River in London on a portion of a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich rolled into a ball lol

I believe but could be wrong, that using any part or whole gamefish is illegal.
That would include fins, eyes, gullet.

Cheers, Clark
Yes you're correct, never thought of that, maybe that's why it's never mentioned. I'm sure it's done because it works.

When I was a kid we were messing around Youngs Crk in Pt Ryerse with some old line and a hook we found on the shore, only thing we had was a paper bag with those big toes and sweedish fish candies..............pulled a Steelhead out below the dam with a sweedish fish lol.

Yes you can use fish waste parts as bait. Perch bellies and eyes are legal.

What would be considered waste? I imagine gutting a whole perch and tossing it in wouldn't qualify. Slippery slope. That's why I always say a small town has a page of lawyers in the yellow pages. I was told by someone else perch eyes aren't legal. I'm not breaking the law. I wouldn't want to be citizen arrested out there.

Featherstone Ted told me Cheeto's are good for panfish, make a ball. You lie Edward. No way he's ever used a Cheeto as bait. Once it's in his hand it has to go directly to mouth. One of those unconscious reactions like breathing.

I am not going to mention any names but an old timer once told me how they used to catch musky up north using live baby ducks as bait. defiantly wouldn't want to get caught doing that these days

No problem using fish eye's from fish you have dispatched as part of your limit.
And yes they do work.
Just check there is no exemption prohibiting organic bait.

I asked another pal the question today. Volleyball net! I can't find that in the regs, man, volleyball net! Maybe no longer a pal.

I used kernel corn and although it's not really a crazy bait, I was surprised to catch a pike on it.

White grubs work well but explode when putting them on hook. Grass hoppers and crickets are good to and corn for trout

Way back when there were 2 sets of stakes at Drs Inlet we ran out of bait and used red thread off a carpet to catch perch.:cool:

BD

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks