Whats best for hunting?

Timberman

Hey Im new to the forum but have been reading for a year or two now. I have never hunted down on the point or in the unit but I am planning on getting down there this year( only live 25 min away).

So I was just wondering what kind of boat everyone is using or what is best? I have a 12 foot aluminum I use for fishing with a 5 horse and I was thinking of painting it camo for the fall and using it?? or buying a jon boat? any ideas?

Hi Timberman

We have been using a 5 hp with a fourteen foot and tilt the motor up due to shallow water. It has been working ok for us but we only hunt the Unit, not the big water. We have some difficulty getting to some of the blinds in the Unit due to weed growth/water depth but overall it has been doing the job. Hopefully the water level is up a bit in the fall. We are going to try using a 16 ft Scott flat back with a 5 hp this year. Good Luck.

PS: there are walk in blinds as well at the Unit

You can get away with a 12 footer with the inside blinds but if you are hunting with a partner and a dog it wouldn't be wise . Outside blinds stay away if there 's a wind .

Hello Timberman,

Here are some points:

1) Come down and look around before the hunting season starts ... perhaps do some fishing.

2) Use what you already have for now and try some inner blinds as already suggested.

3) As you gain experience hunting the WMU you will know what works and what does not work for you ... when and where.

4) Ask someone for advice on the day of your hunt if in doubt as the guys here are generally willing to share their knowledge with others.

5) Have fun ... no blind choice is ever perfect ... a "loser" today is a "winner" the next time.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks