What to use as a terminal from downrigger cable to fish hawk probe?

Centerspin

I got FH x4d for XMASS and am in the process of setting it up. I'm gonna put a double snap with a breakaway swivel it came with toward a blue scotty snubber and the ball. I have no worries at that end. The snap on the downrigger cable end worries me a lot. I lost my friend's fish shaped ball once when I did not close the snap like this, years later I saw my other friend lose a nice shiny shark doing the same mistake. One option is to put a scotty clip just like on the snubber on the downrigger snap and a 100-200 lb split ring on the probe. It will be a quick and a reliable option but adds extra length for the whole setup. Are there any other alternatives I am missing?

I put my fishhawk directly on my rigger line at the terminal then use a Scotty snubber between it and the shark. It allows the weight to go up and down without jerking/snapping the rigger line

I put my fishhawk directly on my rigger line at the terminal then use a Scotty snubber between it and the shark. It allows the weight to go up and down without jerking/snapping the rigger line
It’s what I DID NOT do last year when I lost a probe!

That rigger line terminal snap Is the one I ve seen fail. I wonder if something like this will work better? they claim 155 lb load

Attachments

• snap hook.jpg
    snap hook.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 2
Cable to top eye, breakaway from bottom eye to weight.

I don't have any special terminator on the end of the cable.

80 lb strength rating so should fail first easily.🌻
I am connecting the breakaway and the snubber to the bottom eye of the probe. That open snap to the chamberlain in teh picture is what I'm talking about :) I ve seen equipment lost to it left open and I am looking for a different termination tackle to the upper eye of the probe :).

Can someone explain the benefit of the snubber from the chamberlain to the weight ? I've only ever gone main cable to chamberlain to ball. Wouldn't the snubber put you at a greater risk of losing the weight if the snubber failed?

if the weight gets caught on something the snubber allows it to break free instead of breaking your cable which would result in the loss of the fish hawk probe. I lost mine and it was 500 to replace cause the weight took it with it. So ever since I have used snubbers. Better to just lost the weight as opposed to the weight and the 500 dollar probe.

if the weight gets caught on something the snubber allows it to break free instead of breaking your cable which would result in the loss of the fish hawk probe. I lost mine and it was 500 to replace cause the weight took it with it. So ever since I have used snubbers. Better to just lost the weight as opposed to the weight and the 500 dollar probe.
I understand that makes sense. So if someone doesn't have a fish hawk then there isn't any benefit to having the snubber then? Thanks for clarifying.

Your fish hawk probe comes with a weaker cable to attach to the cannonball so if your cannonball gets caught the weaker cable will break and you won't lose your probe. If your downrigger cable breaks and not the weaker cable then you have a fray or kink in your main cable and there is nobody to blame but yourself for lack of inspection. Bin there done that.

Two but I did not realize we were keeping score! My rigger line snapped and caused the issue. Not the snubber

More on this Subject:

Fish hawk 4xD set-up?​

More on this Subject:

Fish hawk 4xD set-up?​

Yes... Make sure your batteries are up 1.5 V. And don't leave them in the probe for any length of time because they will corrode...:giggle:👍

That rigger line terminal snap Is the one I ve seen fail. I wonder if something like this will work better? they claim 155 lb load
those non-locking connectors will not be good. you need a locking clip of some sort. Do a search on any rock-climbing site and you will see why non-locking connectors are not good for any critical uses.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks