Off Topic What to do

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Well I think it is time to put my mother in law into a nursing home. As most know she is suffering from Dementia and is 91 years old. I bought the place across the street from her as my wife was totally against putting her in a home. She has now lost all control of her bodily functions and I think my wife is going to have a nervous breakdown trying to cope. My M-I-L now just tells lies to everyone and refuses to go to the bathroom. My wife is the one who gets her up and dresses and feeds her in the morning and we have a PSW who comes every afternoon and feeds her and puts her to bed. My mother in law will get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom but refuses to use it in the day time and just sits in her $1000 recliner and goes there. I told my wife almost a year ago that Grace would be better off in a nursing home. We have fought over this for a long time. I feel like calling her doctor and letting him know what is going on but don't want to go behind my wife's back to do it. My mother in law has the same doctor Karen and I have. I am lost as to what to do.

You're in a tough spot Wayne. I cant offer any advice.

My parents and mom's side families took care of my mother's mother long beyond when they should have.

It nearly destroyed them.

The decision to put my Grandma into long term care was made after she was able to be a part of the decision.

My parents sat down with my brother and I and said, don't do what we did, when it's time place us into LTC do it. I told my folks, no worries, you'll be in a home long before you become a problem.

My dad has passed, and my mom is 95 and on her own. My brother and I are trying to get her to understand she needs support and to start moving that direction voluntarily as we don't want an incident to happen which takes all of her choices away.

I feel for you @scrimmy we are trying for a cooperative change for my mother but she likes her privacy and is becoming very untrusting of people.

These are tough issues to deal with.

I'm aware of someone trying to get more support for his wife and the system makes it really difficult to get the help he needs and to get her placed.

She's high on the list but keeps getting bumped by those already admitted to a hospital. Unfortunately those in hospital are placed before those in someone's home.

Hope you get the help you need quickly.

Last edited:
Currently going through the same thing with my mother. We are waiting for her to get placed in LTC. My advice start the process for long term care NOW!!!!!! It is a hell of a process to get a loved one placed into long term care. If you are lucky it may take a month or so to get her placed, however the wait can be years to get a bed. PM if you need info about how the placement process works. (sorry not sure why the font changed)

Last edited:
You're in a tough spot Scrimmy. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

My wife and I are walking on egg shells on this subject with my mother in law as well, not because my mother in law is the one who needs to be in a home to receive better care than she gets now, but because my wife's grandmother does. She's 98, has early stage dementia that was diagnosed a little over a year ago, (although we've thought for some years now that she may have it, but she refused to see a doctor about it for years) and as dementia tends to do, her mental capacity has deteriorated since she was diagnosed. She can't hear, can't see, sits in her chair in the front room, and if nobody is home to help her get to the bathroom, even though she knows the way, she just goes where she is. My mother in law has been conditioned her entire life to be the caretaker for her parents in their later years (her dad passed away almost 9 years ago RIP) so much so that my mother in law has NEVER left home, even when she was married and had her kids (my wife and her older sister.) She's always lived with her parents in the same home she lives in today.

My wife's mother and grandmother's view on it is that it is the duty and responsibility of the children, (or other family members) to look after, and take care of their aging parents (or extended family members,) even if that means moving those aging parents in with them, or they move in with their parents, whether trained to do so, or not. They still have that view today which is why my wife's grandmother is still in her own home. Another factor in it is that apparently, prior to being diagnosed with dementia, my wife's grandmother bluntly threatened to cut my mother in law out of the will if she had her put in a home, no matter the circumstances and give everything to her older brother who lives in BC.

When my grandmother fell and broke her hip before she passed away, I was raked over the coals by my wife's mother and grandmother about the decision my parents, aunt and uncle made to have my grandmother put into a home because she'd get better care that they couldn't provide, from trained professionals . My parents went to see her every day and according to my parents, other than them, my wife and I went to see her in the home more than anyone else in the family, and we only went to see her 3-4 times per year because she'd always send us away after about 10 minutes, despite our protests. We had been to visit a week before she passed and she sent us away after only 5 minutes.

After having her hip surgery after falling, my grandmother, 91 at the time, refused to do what the doctors were all but begging her to do, get up and walk. Being legally blind and unable to see, having fallen in her own home which she knew well, she was to afraid of falling again. As a result, she spent the last 3 years of her life in a home confined to a wheelchair unable to walk. She passed away at 94, the morning of Christmas Day 2015 and although she was not where she wanted to be, in her own home, she did have a better quality of life prior to her passing than she would have had she been at home.

It's a VERY difficult decision to make, and an even harder topic to discuss with the person(s) involved, especially if they don't want to go and can prove they're mentally and physically capable of caring for themselves, or can show that they have someone competent that will see to their needs, to a doctor, a lawyer etc. I wish you good luck whichever way the decision goes.

You're in a tough spot Scrimmy. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

My wife and I are walking on egg shells on this subject with my mother in law as well, not because my mother in law is the one who needs to be in a home to receive better care than she gets now, but because my wife's grandmother does. She's 98, has early stage dementia that was diagnosed a little over a year ago, (although we've thought for some years now that she may have it, but she refused to see a doctor about it for years) and as dementia tends to do, her mental capacity has deteriorated since she was diagnosed. She can't hear, can't see, sits in her chair in the front room, and if nobody is home to help her get to the bathroom, even though she knows the way, she just goes where she is. My mother in law has been conditioned her entire life to be the caretaker for her parents in their later years (her dad passed away almost 9 years ago RIP) so much so that my mother in law has NEVER left home, even when she was married and had her kids (my wife and her older sister.) She's always lived with her parents in the same home she lives in today.

My wife's mother and grandmother's view on it is that it is the duty and responsibility of the children, (or other family members) to look after, and take care of their aging parents (or extended family members,) even if that means moving those aging parents in with them, or they move in with their parents, whether trained to do so, or not. They still have that view today which is why my wife's grandmother is still in her own home. Another factor in it is that apparently, prior to being diagnosed with dementia, my wife's grandmother bluntly threatened to cut my mother in law out of the will if she had her put in a home, no matter the circumstances and give everything to her older brother who lives in BC.

When my grandmother fell and broke her hip before she passed away, I was raked over the coals by my wife's mother and grandmother about the decision my parents, aunt and uncle made to have my grandmother put into a home because she'd get better care that they couldn't provide, from trained professionals . My parents went to see her every day and according to my parents, other than them, my wife and I went to see her in the home more than anyone else in the family, and we only went to see her 3-4 times per year because she'd always send us away after about 10 minutes, despite our protests. We had been to visit a week before she passed and she sent us away after only 5 minutes.

After having her hip surgery after falling, my grandmother, 91 at the time, refused to do what the doctors were all but begging her to do, get up and walk. Being legally blind and unable to see, having fallen in her own home which she knew well, she was to afraid of falling again. As a result, she spent the last 3 years of her life in a home confined to a wheelchair unable to walk. She passed away at 94, the morning of Christmas Day 2015 and although she was not where she wanted to be, in her own home, she did have a better quality of life prior to her passing than she would have had she been at home.

It's a VERY difficult decision to make, and an even harder topic to discuss with the person(s) involved, especially if they don't want to go and can prove they're mentally and physically capable of caring for themselves, or can show that they have someone competent that will see to their needs, to a doctor, a lawyer etc. I wish you good luck whichever way the decision goes.
Thanks for the info Trevor. My mother in law is also legally blind as well as legally deaf. She can't look after herself and my wife (being the eldest child) has power of attorney over her. My wife believes if she sends her to a nursing home she won't last a month. On top of that my mother in law refuses to go to a home. I know for a fact if the doctor finds out they will come and take her away. We have looked after her in her home for the past few years but it is having a very bad affect on my wife now. I have always been my mother in laws "Golden Boy" in her eyes and this to has made for a stressful situation. I think it is just a matter of time that my wife will say enough is enough and a nursing home is the only option.

My grandfather passed away May 2020 who was suffering from picks disease,
My grandma was doing everything she could to take care of him, she was a bout to throw in the towel and that’s when he had a heart attack and died.. tough to see him go but I was glad he never had to go to a home.
He was already forgetting a lot of the family and I feel as tho it would of been torchure being in a home not knowing anyone.
It’s a really tough call as the people who are with him daily who love him and cared about him had to witness first hand his decline in health and seeing him fight and argue with people who weren’t even in the room.
I’m sorry to hear about this with your family

Sorry Scrimmy to hear about your M-I-L condition. I feel my wife and I going to be in a similar place before to long. My M-I-L fell and broke her pelvis a couple of months back due to her frailness and has recovered pretty well but her mental capacity has diminished a lot this last year. Fortunately her husband is still in the picture and doing well except for last week when he thought he could scrape some mould of some food and they both ended up with food poisoning from eating it. My wife has two sisters who don't live real close but she works in the same town they live and almost every other day there is an issue she has to leave work for to address. They're 88 and 89 and have done real well up till spring of the past year. I fear that this is the start of the beginning of some of those hard to make decisions.

Sorry to hear scrimmy tough decusions to make had to do that a few years back for my dad but have to be sure they are safe and taken care of spots in homes are scarce most usually have to go on a list good luck with your sitiuation

My grandfather hid the depth of my grandmothers Alzheimer's for years. He ignored his own health taking care of her to the point of passing from a massive heart attack.

This is going to sound harsh: but give your wife a head shake and a reality check. Your mother-in-law is not going to get any better. If you're like most of us you'll need to go through government assistance to get her a room in a home. It is a long waiting list. Once there is a room for her, you may be lucky enough to have a couple of different choices of facilities? If you refuse those facilities her name then goes back to the bottom of the list and the wait begins again. I hated the place where my father went to, but that was our only choice. We couldn't provide the care he needed; not mentally, physically, or financially. It really felt like a kick in the nuts sending my Dad to a home, but it turned out to be the best for him.

I also understand the guilt your wife must feel (my two sisters felt like they let dad down) she'll eventually realize it's for the best; just like my sisters did.

Now that I've just retired; I've begun working with a firm called Seniors for Seniors. It is a firm that offers Seniors that still live at home (alone or with family) a companion, driver, handyman, or just someone they can call a friend. I'm there to take away the alone time that many Seniors experience or the worry of how they're getting to their doctor's appointments, grocery shopping whatever.

Hard choices!

Dan.

@Dand: You are spot on, had same problem with our mother. It is a hard thing to do but must be done for her. Many things can happen in minutes even if you were there 24/7. Get her to a home AND visit often and NEVER at the same times. My heart goes out to @scrimmy and the Mrs. Good Luck..

The Wife's mother voluntarily gave up her independent apartment and moved into LTC earlier than she needed to just to avoid the situation so many of us find ourselves in, or will be in shortly. (wise woman)

This "children are to take care of their parents" needs realistic boundaries.

At a certain point it is unhealthy and unsafe for all.

Placing parents into necessary care is not cruel and inhumane when done carefully and for the good of all.

The MIL is well cared for and the home takes huge measures to keep infections out of the home.

I intend to be as my parents and not put my or my wife's care onto my children's list of responsibilities.

Sorry to hear that Wayne I know you're between a rock and a hard place. It's one of those extremely painful decisions in life we never want to face but has to made when the time comes. My father was 88 and could not walk anymore so my step mother had no choice but to put him in a home which he dreaded. His mind was as solid as it had ever been but once he realized he was never coming home again he completely gave up. He just shutdown refusing any interaction with anyone and died a few months later. A home is one place I never want to see the inside of and I'm sure you don't either so I can understand the dilemma you are faced with. It's not easy for sure so I wish you well with a decision only you can make which will be best for all involved. :confused:

My wife just got back from getting my MIL up dressed and fed. My mother in law told Karen this morning that she is getting very tired and that maybe it would be best if she went into a home. I am very surprised by this but think it is for the best. Karen is going to call the Doctor in the morning. Thanks everyone for the reply's to my issue and I do hope that we can find a good home for Grace. She is having trouble walking down the hall even with her Walker.

It boils down to a "Quality of Life " question ? As it's already been stated "she isn't going to get any better" and it sounds like you've done a lot for her already but there comes a time when you have to get professionals involved and not just for her sake but for yours as well.

@scrimmy, as @hawgseeker and others have said, I too suggest to get your mother-in-law on the Long-Term care list ASAP. Our family has been through this a couple of times recently. What I've seen is that the system is so overburdened, you and your wife may have to become strong advocates to get your loved one a spot in a long-term care home in a timely fashion.

There is some information, including current wait times, in South-West at http://healthcareathome.ca/southwes...C Waitlist/SW LTCH Report Upload Nov 2021.pdf .

I wouldn't wait for a doctor's referral. I would recommend getting your application for long-term care going, starting at this web site for the S-W region http://healthcareathome.ca/southwest/en/Getting-Care/Getting-Long-Term-Care. Be prepared to be persistent.

Scrim...I also have a 87 yr old mil..in Parkwood for rehab after another fall at home. We're waiting to see if she can go home with supports that because of covid arnt available.
Text me and I'll send you the name and number for a long term care navigator in London. She helped a friend placing her mil..very helpful. The wait lists can be 2++ years and covid is making placements almost impossible

Scrim...I also have a 87 yr old mil..in Parkwood for rehab after another fall at home. We're waiting to see if she can go home with supports that because of covid arnt available.
Text me and I'll send you the name and number for a long term care navigator in London. She helped a friend placing her mil..very helpful. The wait lists can be 2++ years and covid is making placements almost impossible
Thanks for the reply DaveJ. I think that the 2+ years of waiting list will not do as with her rapidly failing health there is no way she will make the 2+ years. My wife was going to call her doctor today but we have both come down with a weird illness. I just hope it is not covid ormicron but it is much worse than a common cold. Runny nose constant cough, tight chest a powerful headache. I only just got out of bed 20 minutes ago. We are still waiting for the booster shots

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks