What is this - Found in Long Point

Duck_Tales

Does anybody know what this is? Found it in the backyard on the causeway

Attachments

• odd%20head.jpg
    odd%20head.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 299
Is Big Dave missing??If it is amphibius just guessing it could be a dogfish head??

My best guess would be an Indian Snakehead but I really HOPE I'm WRONG, someone please correct me.

Does anybody know what this is? Found it in the backyard on the causeway
How big is the skull,orange size,grape fruit,etc.dog fish (bowfin)seems to fit area found,have caught some on the west side of causeway in those marshy ponds there years ago.ten to fifteen pounders are possible

I think Jammer is correct, on his answer to the Bowfin...... But I do hope that's the end of the find...............

Fish_Bowfin.jpeg

Bowfin:

Appearance:

The bowfin is the only living representative of an ancient family of fishes. It has an air-bladder that functions like a lung, and can be seen gulping air. They have a long, stout body; big mouth with small, sharp teeth; long dorsal and rounded tail fin. Males have a dark spot with a bright orange halo on the tail fin. The spot is absent or inconspicuous on females.

Habitat:

Prefers swamps, or backwaters of lowland streams. They live in warm, poorly oxygenated waters.

Behavior:

Males clear a nest among heavy vegetation. Eggs are laid at night and males guard them. Larvae use an adhesive organ to anchor themselves.

State Record:

19.0 lbs. Big Catch: 30 inches or 10 lbs.
Fishing Tips and Facts:

Bass anglers are often surprised to find a bowfin has taken their lure. Mudfish strike topwater and deep-running lures but are most often caught on live bait. It is a better fighter, than some highly rated game fish. The flesh is jelly-like, but can be prepared smoked, fried as patties or stewed.

Have caught a bowfin ( or not sure if the same fish) ling and it didn't have insizers like that!!! Caught in back bay at lpoint....hope its not a snakehead...mama meeeeyaaa!!!

Any bowfin I have ever caught never had teeth like that. Those teeth are way too big.

I'd go with Snakehead.

Another bowfin specimen from the net, looks almost identical:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks