What are your favorite troling rods and reels

borg

Hi Guys,
I am relatively new to trolling and I want to buy some gear.
Instead of waoting my money I wourkl oprefer to ask first from the guys with hands on experience.
So what are your favorites trolling rods & reels for Erie (50-60FOW)?
Thank you in advance for any info.

Hi Guys,
I am relatively new to trolling and I want to buy some gear.
Instead of waoting my money I wourkl oprefer to ask first from the guys with hands on experience.
So what are your favorites trolling rods & reels for Erie (50-60FOW)?
Thank you in advance for any info.
I like my okuma rods and line counter reals. They have gone up in price but still reasonable!!

Favourite Lake Erie reel would have to be Diawa Saltist very well put together and geared to winding in walleye with a 6.1:1 gear ratio. This ratio is really nice with long lead lines as well. Lead rods would have to be Rapala Erie Core ( heavy) price is very affordable and you have a nice balance between control and still being able to feel the fish For dipsy combos I run rapala magnum (heavy) 10’6” rods with Okuma Clarion reels

Okuma linecount reels in a 3000 size and I love my Diawa rods 8'6" and 9' both are medium heavy power

Daiwa saltist 30 size for riggers/dipsey and 50 size for lead core. You need a larger size for lead core as it takes up a lot of room. Pricey reels but I've never regreted buying quality. Have not found a favorite rod yet however the Ugly sticks seem to work with out being too spendy.

Okuma 453 cold water line counter. And Okuma GLT rods. Just picked up eight of each.

Attachments

• 5F52A53C-C834-4E8B-B010-45EDBAC09675.jpeg
    5F52A53C-C834-4E8B-B010-45EDBAC09675.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 43
  • B12DB8B4-EE53-4F83-A3C8-5E9556B6CCDA.jpeg
    B12DB8B4-EE53-4F83-A3C8-5E9556B6CCDA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
Just wondering which ugly sticks you’re running twister as the ones I’m running don’t have enough back bone when hooked into to larger eyes?

I too like the okumas if you find them on sale. (Around 120-135 for combo) Stacking up the numbers the last two years I’ve been grabbing a bunch of the cabelas depth masters. I’ve heard the reel is manufactured by and based off a mainstream company they signed on (possibly diawa if I remember correctly??) The rods come in NUMEROUS formats, and all for 89.99$ Canadian..... it’s not top notch but I’ve never had an issue on any of them, and if something failed.... at that price.... I wouldn’t loose any sleep over it. Again being budget minded for numerous rod set ups that’s what I went with. Good luck.

The salt water/ inshore ones plenty stiff. Not really in love with them but they work. Depth masters ok too but that exchange rate hurts

The salt water/ inshore ones plenty stiff. Not really in love with them but they work. Depth masters ok too but that exchange rate hurts
Yeah not in love with my ugly sticks either looking forward to replacing them all six of them !

I don't have any favourites developed as yet.

My counter reels are all Okuma except the 2 that came with the boat and 1 of 3 I bought used. They are all the Magda series and a used Diawa Accuview or something like that.

I have a mix of rods, Okuma, Diawa, Ugly Stick, they all produce and I don't have a dislike for any of them.

The set up is rod length, longer outside shorter to the center.

Nothing I have is the best money can buy, personally I don't see the need for it.

Only my opinion.

You may want to consider the Rapala Magnum Trolling rods. I tried Rapala Magnum Dipsy rods this year and I'm very impressed with them. They use E-Glass Rage blanks, custom Fuji black nickel reel seats and superb Alconite guides with the toughest super high density EVA handles I've ever seen. I will definitely try their Magnum downrigger rods next as they use the exact same construction. Both Magnum lines sell for $90 which isn't bad for a quality rod. I use both Rapala Hydros LC and Okuma Clarion LC reels but have to say I prefer the smoother drag system on the Okuma reels. The Shimano Tekota, Diawa Saltist and Penn Fathom are great choices but tend to be pricey especially if you want 4-6 reels. Lots of more affordable choices out there to choose from that will serve you well for many years to come. I would say the best bang for the buck has to be Okuma.

Good luck with Erie trolling because your hooked now. :)

Last edited:
I'm running all tekota 500 and 600s linecounters (would love to replace my 600s with 500s). They all sit on shimano compre trolling rods(I'd love to find 4 more of these rods in the 7'6 version), I generally just pull crankbaits on inline boards.

If I'm pulling dipsy s I run run 9' daiwa rods. For downrigger rods I run 9' uglysicks,

I have a mishmash of rods. Some nice, some cheap and beat up. They all serve a purpose. One thing I really love though are my saltists and my tekotas. They really make my experience better because they are very smooth and reliable. They don't come cheap though.

They are 89.99 Canadian from cabelas.ca (depthmasters) I either add on a 10$ item or order two at a time and you get free shipping (99$and over) I’ve only had one show up broken (they replaced)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks