What a day today - saved another fisherman's life

icefisherman

Went perch fishing with my boys. Launched from Collins Marina around 8:30. Fishing was slow most of the day until wind picked up in early afternoon when we managed to get 68 keepers.

As we were getting ready to head back to port noticed nearby fisherman alone in his boat in distress. He drove his boat next to the boat of friend of his about 75-100 meters from us. As their were talking the guy lost conscience and collapsed over the gunnel with most of his body hanging face down over the water and arms in the water. The older gentlemen in the other boat was panicking. He couldn't help as his boat was anchored. We saw and heard the commotion and run quickly to see what is happening.

As we got closer we saw the guy motionless, his upper body entirely over the side of the boat. Rushed to his boat and my older son jumped inside before I even got close enough. My younger son stayed in our boat. I too jumped in his boat. Both my son and I lifted the guy (very heavy) and had him laying on his back on the floor of his boat. Still unconscious and barely breathing, eyes closed. My son kept his head up while I tried to revive him. After what seemed like eternity (possibly 5-6 min) the guy started regular breathing and opened his eyes. Another boat with 3 guys in it saw the activity and came over to help.

Though he was breathing, he was not acting normally. Several times he tried to lean over the gunnel and was attempting to pedal with his palms. Took a lot of pulling and pushing to keep him inside the boat. Put a life jacket on him. One guy from the other boat offered to drive his boat to port, while my son and a second guy will hold him inside the boat, as he kept trying to roll overboard. I went back to my boat and we followed them to port. My son helped him get on the dock and supported him walking around on the grass waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Poor guy didn't remember anything from the preceding events. Didn't remember what happened to him, didn't remember my son and me. Nothing. He refused to go the hospital for further examination. His older friend from the other boat got back to port by then, and made phone calls arranging to get him and his boat home.

All this took about an hour to hour and a half....after seeing he can walk and his friend was on shore with him, we left.

Lesson learned:

- never go out in a boat by yourself!
- If you do, at least be smart and have your life jacket on

If we were a minute too late he would have dropped unconscious in the water and drowned in front oh his older friend who would not be able to help but watch. Depth was about 7 feet.

Glad we were able to help. Very proud of my 17 year old son. He acted decisively and saved the fellow fisherman's life! What better life lesson than this. He'll never forget it.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Be proud of your son, sounds like he became a man yesterday. Have family talks about the event for a few days and get him to talk about it so
he doesn't lock it in. De-briefing after an event like that is necessary.

Glad everyone was around to support a fellow fisher, stick together folks we are the first responders while on the water. Give them a medal or some kind of recognition.

A buddy of mines parents rescued a group of 3 from certain death on a cottage lake up north who capsized there small boat in spring just after ice out many years ago. They received a hero’s commendation from the feds they now have on their wall at the cottage. Something like that is in order here. Good job on you and your sons’ icefishermen. You definitely saved that man’s life. Sounds to me like he was having a seizure.

Went perch fishing with my boys. Launched from Collins Marina around 8:30. Fishing was slow most of the day until wind picked up in early afternoon when we managed to get 68 keepers.

As we were getting ready to head back to port noticed nearby fisherman alone in his boat in distress. He drove his boat next to the boat of friend of his about 75-100 meters from us. As their were talking the guy lost conscience and collapsed over the gunnel with most of his body hanging face down over the water and arms in the water. The older gentlemen in the other boat was panicking. He couldn't help as his boat was anchored. We saw and heard the commotion and run quickly to see what is happening.

As we got closer we saw the guy motionless, his upper body entirely over the side of the boat. Rushed to his boat and my older son jumped inside before I even got close enough. My younger son stayed in our boat. I too jumped in his boat. Both my son and I lifted the guy (very heavy) and had him laying on his back on the floor of his boat. Still unconscious and barely breathing, eyes closed. My son kept his head up while I tried to revive him. After what seemed like eternity (possibly 5-6 min) the guy started regular breathing and opened his eyes. Another boat with 3 guys in it saw the activity and came over to help.

Though he was breathing, he was not acting normally. Several times he tried to lean over the gunnel and was attempting to pedal with his palms. Took a lot of pulling and pushing to keep him inside the boat. Put a life jacket on him. One guy from the other boat offered to drive his boat to port, while my son and a second guy will hold him inside the boat, as he kept trying to roll overboard. I went back to my boat and we followed them to port. My son helped him get on the dock and supported him walking around on the grass waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Poor guy didn't remember anything from the preceding events. Didn't remember what happened to him, didn't remember my son and me. Nothing. He refused to go the hospital for further examination. His older friend from the other boat got back to port by then, and made phone calls arranging to get him and his boat home.

All this took about an hour to hour and a half....after seeing he can walk and his friend was on shore with him, we left.

Lesson learned:

If we were a minute too late he would have dropped unconscious in the water and drowned in front oh his older friend who would not be able to help but watch. Depth was about 7 feet.

Glad we were able to help. Very proud of my 17 year old son. He acted decisively and saved the fellow fisherman's life! What better life lesson than this. He'll never forget it.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman
Wel done. Sounds like a very brave boy.

Icefisherman:
I don't know the man you assisted, nor to my knowledge, have we ever met. But as a first responder with over 32 years on the job, I want to say thank you to you and your sons and those who assisted in whatever way they could. It is selfless and clear headed actions demonstrated here on the part of you and your sons and the others who came to his assistance that make it much easier on those of us whose duty it is to respond to these sorts of things all too often. You certainly prevented a much more catastrophic outcome.

With emergency resources of every sort spread so thinly these days, you most assuredly saved one of my brother responders the difficult tasks of a body recovery and a next-of-kin notification. I am sure the gentleman's family are even more greatful than the local paramedics/fire-rescue/police are, but again, thank you, your sons and everyone else who contributed to this gentleman's positive outcome.

My hat is off to you @icefisherman ... you and your son should be proud of yourselves!!!!
I love reading stories like this....you guys are heroes in my book.👍
A great outcome and a wonderful memory to last a lifetime.

Lesson learned:

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman
So happy you where able to help. Thank you I hope he is ok 🙏☺️

KUDOS to all involved! The actions of all show that there is still good people out there and you are all to be commended for your actions. Thank you all for your intervention!

Good for you for jumping into action when you saw him in distress! Odd that he would refuse a medical evaluation by EMS. Could be a condition he's been denying? If he was in a boat by himself he likely drove there. A medical history including passing out would get his driver's license pulled.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks