What’s going on in Burwell

Toad

Wasn’t going to post today thought there would be more than enough posts coming from Burwell. Must have been 300 boats out this morning. Dropped lines at 6.15 back on dock at 10.20 with our 12. Fish are still deep best for us was 61 fow. All dipseys outside on 3 back 145 inside on 11/2 back 95. Smaller fish 18-22 inches. Yet in saying that a good friend that was out and came back in with us had their 12 all large on worm harnesses. All A C Shiners for us. He was a bit deeper than us in 63.

@Toad I was out for the first time this year. Had an okay first go, only 4 walleye in 55-60 fow going about 2.7mph in about 4 hours. Caught 6 farm animals too, not sure how to avoid those pesky fish...

@Toad I was out for the first time this year. Had an okay first go, only 4 walleye in 55-60 fow going about 2.7mph in about 4 hours. Caught 6 farm animals too, not sure how to avoid those pesky fish...
try going deeper and maybe a touch quicker. 2.7 on what your finder, gps or down speed. That being said I did nail onto 1 farm animal this morning. It was in a turn and the inside rod picked it up. That one was going slower than the outside rod.

Yea , freaked us out . We were heading out of the river at 11:30 and was a huge line of boats in the river coming back . Got a little ways out and another long line of boats coming in . Was really calm waters . Figured they all started pretty early and limited out . We stayed between 50 and 55' . Picked up 3 , one 8 1/2 lbs , lost one and the captain caught a shithead . 2 pm the waves started picking up . Came in at 5 because the white caps were rolling .

try going deeper and maybe a touch quicker. 2.7 on what your finder, gps or down speed. That being said I did nail onto 1 farm animal this morning. It was in a turn and the inside rod picked it up. That one was going slower than the outside rod.
@Toad I too picled up a big farm animal on my 10 color, speed was around 2.9 to 3 but was making a turn and it was on the turn side as @scrimmy said, so I am guessing because it slowed it caught that big pig,and yes it was big. Realing in ten color to find that on there was not exciting but it did fight good..LOL Finished my day yesterday with 2 in the box, lost a big bow when he jumped and fought like a tank, broke me off, got my dipsey and new lure. I did drop alot at the side of the boat because I was using AC shiners,,so thanks for that tip but of course will changing hooks. I am the guy that likes to reach down and hand balm the fish into the boat ,,yes the net is right there..Lol

@Toad I too picled up a big farm animal on my 10 color, speed was around 2.9 to 3 but was making a turn and it was on the turn side as @scrimmy said, so I am guessing because it slowed it caught that big pig,and yes it was big. Realing in ten color to find that on there was not exciting but it did fight good..LOL Finished my day yesterday with 2 in the box, lost a big bow when he jumped and fought like a tank, broke me off, got my dipsey and new lure. I did drop alot at the side of the boat because I was using AC shiners,,so thanks for that tip but of course will changing hooks. I am the guy that likes to reach down and hand balm the fish into the boat ,,yes the net is right there..Lol
I have used AC Shiners for many years they have a great wobble. The hooks unfortunately are not very good. I always change them to the best hooks I can get and upsize them one size. As for the sheep fight on the ten colours oh boy that sucks. I only use ten colours when absolutely necessary and when I have a good strong young fellow on the boat.

Picked up 5 yesterday all in tight school in 62 feet. Orange spoon took 4 on rigger down 55' . Pretty much straight out by the gas well without a pipeline. Out late.

We got 6, including one 7 1/2 lb. He really wanted this RRF, all three hooks. It was lead core, all the way out 10 colours that work in 55-60 fow. I'm curious why one boat is all Dipsey, another riggers and us lead core? We had all three out on our boat.

Attachments

• 20210801_115646.jpg
    20210801_115646.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 55
My Dad and I were out yesterday morning and we only got one walleye, we were in 60-63ft, 2 dipseys at 180ft and 1 leadcore all colors out, worm harnesses and ripplin redfin, this is my 3rd or 4th year with trolling for walleye, and it keeps getting worse.

@aknelsen in my opinion you were running too deep.

I seldom run a dipsy on 3 further back than 150, normally 120-130 in deep water.

According to my chart 180 is about 58 ft down.

Maybe other opinions will be different.

The the deepest I ran dipsy this year is 115 back on #3 settings
I start with 75 back in the morning and if no hits let out 10 feet every 10 minutes till starting to get bites ,

@aknelsen in my opinion you were running too deep.

I seldom run a dipsy on 3 further back than 150, normally 120-130 in deep water.

According to my chart 180 is about 58 ft down.

Maybe other opinions will be different.
I started with #1 dipseys at 70 and worked my way to 140ft and nothing so I switched to the smaller dipseys and went to 180ft that is what got the 1 walleye, 180ft on the smaller dipseys is about 40ft down

The the deepest I ran dipsy this year is 115 back on #3 settings
I start with 75 back in the morning and if no hits let out 10 feet every 10 minutes till starting to get bites
I started at 70 went up to 140 then changed to smaller dipseys at 180

Ok then it comes to presentation, lure choice, speed, variety etc.
I was doing 2.5 to 3mph, switching lures from rrf gold and black to silver and blue, worm harnesses and tried one other lure that they recommend me at angling outfitters

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks