Off Topic Welding advice...

Reel Therapy

Hi All

I am looking for some advice to get a weld done on my Muzzleloader. Of course need it done rather quickly as season is a couple of weeks away. Any suggestions on who could weld a bracket back on barrel? I have attached pic below.

I am in Guelph area but happy to drive to get it done, any help is appreciated!ML .jpg

What kind of muzzleloader? I had that happen to my TC last year. It held the second ramrod guide.. I Figure one is enough..l actually. I forgot about it until you posted this!

Fergus welding on Beatty line might be able to help you out. They can damn near weld anything and they’ve done some good work for me in the past. Can’t hurt to give em a call anyway.

There is a gunsmith in Delhi and Simcoe... Not sure if he can do it but I would want someone in that field to look at it before I fire a shot...JMO

Tig is the only way to weld it. Silver solder would require both components to be heated to cherry red, adding too much heat which would ruin the barrel. If you can't find anyone close to you I live in Hamilton and can do the repair.

Hi All

I am looking for some advice to get a weld done on my Muzzleloader. Of course need it done rather quickly as season is a couple of weeks away. Any suggestions on who could weld a bracket back on barrel? I have attached pic below.

I am in Guelph area but happy to drive to get it done, any help is appreciated!View attachment 34973
I am in Elmira and yes tig would be the way to go. Email me at brianf@advancemillwrights.com and I can help you out

Tig is the only way to weld it. Silver solder would require both components to be heated to cherry red, adding too much heat which would ruin the barrel. If you can't find anyone close to you I live in Hamilton and can do the repair.

Interesting. You may want to call around and speak to some gunsmiths before making such a claim. I’ve personally had 3 different repairs completed by 2 different smiths and they used silver solder each time.

Low/mid temp silver solder is the most common method used by gunsmiths for reattaching firearm parts....

No offence to to prov2025, but maybe it’s best to have a gunsmith do the repair instead of a welder who isn’t aware of how most (all?) smiths repair firearms?

Last edited:
If you blow up the pic of the broken part you will see that it was welded. Silver solder of any type does not rust. Though I don't claim to be a gunsmith, I have made many repairs and modifications to mostly handguns over the last forty years, working alongside a close friend and gunsmith at my place because we enjoyed the same past-time and because my shop was better equipped. Sadly, he passed away several years ago. I worked on The Hamilton Wentworth Swat team rifles and many police handguns to name a few, as well as correcting repairs made by other "gunsmiths". Welding is only a small part of my knowledge base. There are places where low temp. silver solder can be used, but when the original part was welded and broke, solder is simply not going to hold up. Low temp silver solder is ok to use on copper plumbing and critical larger electrical components subjected to vibration, but not on a protruding component on a gun which has to withstand high recoil shock and occasional accidental bumps.

Last edited:
Interesting. You may want to call around and speak to some gunsmiths before making such a claim. I’ve personally had 3 different repairs completed by 2 different smiths and they used silver solder each time.

Low/mid temp silver solder is the most common method used by gunsmiths for reattaching firearm parts....

No offence to to prov2025, but maybe it’s best to have a gunsmith do the repair instead of a welder who isn’t aware of how most (all?) smiths repair firearms?
I somewhat take offence to all three above statements.

Each repair of a firearm requires its own repair method. True silver solder which melts above 600 degrees C. is strong and can be used where the components are not heat treated and tempered, where the repair appearance is not critical, and where original strength is not as important.

Low/mid temp silver solder contains less than 5% silver and is nothing more than glorified lead/tin solder and not much stronger. Only place I would use it is for rejoining dble. barrels and ribbing on shotguns.

You shouldn't make statements about someone you know nothing about. You obviously know nothing about metalworking, soldering, silver soldering, welding, heat treating, machining, gunsmithing, etc. I do.

What kind of muzzleloader? I had that happen to my TC last year. It held the second ramrod guide.. I Figure one is enough..l actually. I forgot about it until you posted this!
It is a CVA been a great gun for many years, can't get the Bergara barrel anymore on the Optima so I am glad I can get it fixed and pass along to my daughter. (This will be her first ML hunt this fall) I on the other hand just purchased a new CVA Accura with a 3x9 GPO scope :love:.

Big call out to @proV2025 for giving me a hand tomorrow and getting it fixed.

RT

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks