Off Topic Webcam of lake ontario

SouthernOntariosportsman

Does anyone have a link to a live webcam of lake Ontario Canadian side preferred.
Looking at gathering data to make a trip that way, just curious on what the waves are like with certain winds...
it's a 3.5 hr hike that way, would hate to drive there for nothing.

your better off using Windy.com. From Grimsby to Toronto is very much protected by the Horse shoe shape shorelines. Only concern would be East Wind. Bronte are is the best for wind. I would fish up to 25 KM from any direction expect East. Where are you coming from.

Ontario is a much calmer lake then Erie. Avoid east winds. As long as the wind is not east, Ontario often looks like this.
AD5FDDA8-15F8-443A-BB0C-60A4CDBF78D8.jpeg

your better off using Windy.com. From Grimsby to Toronto is very much protected by the Horse shoe shape shorelines. Only concern would be East Wind. Bronte are is the best for wind. I would fish up to 25 KM from any direction expect East. Where are you coming from.
I'm heading from Leamington, I am currently keeping an eye on thursday out of grimsby

Use your favourite wind forecast site and watch it as compared to the Grimsby Buoy. You can put together a good estimate based on that. A lot can change during that 3.5 hour drive. I use WIndfinder as they have a Grimsby Buoy forecast
Grimsby Buoy
WF Forecast

The current forecast looks good, although I suspect the waves will be a little bigger than WF shows once you get out more then 3 or 4 miles if you go that deep W, SW, and NW are all pretty sheltered by the escarpment. Once they swing NNW and N the wind comes across from the north shore and will have more effect. East winds - stay home and sharpen hooks. After a full moon and a cloudless night - afternoon bite, sleep in

Does anyone have a link to a live webcam of lake Ontario Canadian side preferred.
Looking at gathering data to make a trip that way, just curious on what the waves are like with certain winds...
it's a 3.5 hr hike that way, would hate to drive there for nothing.
You able to cross border? I thought it’s closed for most of us.

Use your favourite wind forecast site and watch it as compared to the Grimsby Buoy. You can put together a good estimate based on that. A lot can change during that 3.5 hour drive. I use WIndfinder as they have a Grimsby Buoy forecast
Grimsby Buoy
WF Forecast

The current forecast looks good, although I suspect the waves will be a little bigger than WF shows once you get out more then 3 or 4 miles if you go that deep W, SW, and NW are all pretty sheltered by the escarpment. Once they swing NNW and N the wind comes across from the north shore and will have more effect. East winds - stay home and sharpen hooks. After a full moon and a cloudless night - afternoon bite, sleep in
thanks @spincast , i use windy as the wind app, and a bunch of others, and yes the wind i'm sure will change since it knows i want to go. as always.
any info of kings close to west end? or is grimsby considered southwest?

You could do worse than looking at Tickers last couple days - looks like he was onto them. The biggest ones will be lone wolfs or two's on the finder. You see that at 50 - 75 FOW, do a figure 8 and see if you can get one po'd enough to hit what you got out. For the quantity of hits - 90 - 120 fow. Going for a trophy, 225 FOW or more, at least that's what works for me. Look for deep structure and currents / up wellings. A drop off from 90 - 120 with tight contours will drive water up, and fish will hold there. If you find a bait ball, work it. No bites / hooks, mark it come back later. There is a circular current between Grimsby, Bronte, and Hamilton that always holds fish. Fishermans pier is your best bet for that. 50 point and Forans are off Grimsby - you can fish with the pack, or search nearby. Good luck. I hope to be out there if the weather holds. I'll be on Channel 10 if you have a radio

@spincast --Wednesday or Thursday , with wind shifting, either of those, next couple days will help in knowing which day to go, I'm packed and ready. I tend to stay clear of packs (boats), i like to find my own. I'm just hoping for 2 decent ones, so my boy can have at it, be his first salmon. and the 2nd fish for me.

@spincast --Wednesday or Thursday, with wind shifting, either of those, next couple days will help in knowing which day to go, I'm packed and ready. I tend to stay clear of packs (boats), i like to find my own. I'm just hoping for 2 decent ones, so my boy can have at it, be his first salmon. and the 2nd fish for me.
In that case - I'd say work the skinnier water. If you launch at Foran's (Grimsby) there is a good drop off right around the bouy and it runs for quite a bit. I'd run out to say, 80, and set up running away from shore. Once you start marking, turn parallel to shore and do S turns back and forth, 5 - 10 fow dept differences. If you launch at Fishermans, I'd run at a 45 once I'm out of the canal, heading towards the middle of the lake (as opposed to the Toronto skyline) and run out till about 125, then set up and look for the marks again. Then turn parallel to the shore behind you and do the same. Look for a speed of between 2.4 and 3.1. Cohos will be in the top 30, 40 fow, then bows, then kings. Not sure what you have for tackle, but this time of year with 4 rods I'm looking at riggers at 50 and 75, dipseys out 120 - 180 on a 3 and or a 10 colour (guest rod :) ) Bright skies - bright spoons. Flasher flies off the dipsey, clean spoons off the riggers. I'll usually run a meat rig, that will be the deepest rod. If you're marking and they aren't hitting, change colours every 20 - 30 mins till you find what they like. Green is a pretty popular colour up this way. I like white for flies and monkey puke versions for spoons. If they spook down, lengthen your leads. If they chase the ball. but don't hit, shorten the lead. If they just watch it swim by, swear gently under your breath ( you got your boy after all) and try something else :) Good luck P.S. - for what it's worth right now, Id be doing Thursday, or even better Friday. Wednesday has East winds. But that'll likely change four or five times before we get there).

This site will help with surfuce temperature
Its also indicates currents as you can see temps changes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200719-181303_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200719-181303_Samsung Internet.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 23
Id second going from Fishermans pier but they open at 6am weekdays.Harbourfront park is free and 24 hour access for early risers

Here is the pictures

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200719-210617_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200719-210617_Samsung Internet.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20200719-205953_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200719-205953_Samsung Internet.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20200719-205845_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200719-205845_Samsung Internet.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 21
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks