Weather report from good to worst on LP Bay

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Yesterday morning with no wind and clear skies decided to head over to Normandale for some perch. The inner bay had a little chop on it but when I crossed over the bar the outer bay was absolutely flat.

Stopped at TP for perch and nothing, went to Normandale nada except 9 smallies in about 20-30 mins. Water temp there was 57 degrees and decided to hit Pottahawk.

Talked to a fellow I meet at @Jimmy Riggin from Ohio and was having no success either. Water temp there was 61 degrees.

Left there and headed to the Bluffs for either pike or perch. Started to drag 2 lines at the tip and only had 2 hits.

By this time I was keeping an eye on the sky to the north and it wasn't good. But back to the west was looking ok.
Got all the way up inside and to the west the sky didn't look good. Playing it save decided to head in before I get my a$$ wet. The closer I got to Pottahawk I'm thinking this isn't going to be good:eek: Almost to Pottahawk a huge bolt of lightning had hit:eek:
Ran threw the little opening at the bar full throttle and to the west wasn't good.

Now I know I'm not going to make it in. For my own safety I stopped for protection at the Company. Knowing the keepers there very well they didn't have an issue at all. Stayed on the boat under the cover of a boat dock and watched how the water, wind and rain hit hard.

Sent a text message to my marina buddy just to let him know where I was and not to worry.

IMG_0565.JPG

8 lb. steelhead.jpg Hi Three Bouys,

I was out yesterday morning and we started to pull lines around 10:45 a.m. when we saw the darker skies near Nanticoke. We were fishing near the elbow in 100 ft. of water and were really hitting the bows well and went 6 for 11 in about 2.5 hours. The rain went along the shore and we got a little wet the last mile even though I was travelling at 37 mph. While cleaning the boat I could hear the thunder west of Nanticoke. I started to get limits of trout and coho this week so the trolling has been pretty good and should really improve next week.

Cheers,

John

Attachments

• 8 lb. steelhead.jpg
    8 lb. steelhead.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
I've lived that story before including taking refuge at the Company. Good to hear you caught some bass even though the perch obviously abandoned the area.

We
Gee... sorry I missed that trip @Three Bouys . Why do I think you would be smiling all the way in?
We've seen some nasty water conditions out there together @stomp. That smile was quickly removed when that bolt of lightning hit so close at Pottahawk :eek: That lightning bolt made me :poop: my pants:(
There was a slight breeze at the Bluffs, just enough to keep the bugs away. When I was crossing the inner bay earlier there was a SE wind blowing. But during that calm period the winds had changed direction and blew those storm clouds from the NW.
Crap happens very quickly when on the water. I'm always watching the clouds and the direction of the wind, but this time it happened fast and I wasn't quick enough to get moving.
You can never out run a storm on the water and that's why I took shelter at the Company.
Technically nobody is allowed in there, but in an emergency situation I was accepted. Many thanks to keepers there.

I've lived that story before including taking refuge at the Company. Good to hear you caught some bass even though the perch obviously abandoned the area.
Thought maybe I might have seen you out there @Duck Soup but I guess you knew something that I didn't know.

Nice photo... that hardtop boat at the dock would have come in handy in weather like that.
Glad you made it back safely @Three Bouys. :)

I was out yesterday morning and got caught in that storm. We got absolutely drenched in a matter of minutes. We could see the lightning bolts in the big creek marsh, just got back to marina shores and the storm stopped. You could feel the static electricity in the air through your graphite fishing rod, once I felt that, dropped the rods and headed back to the boathouse as fast as possible. Lightning and big winds are about the only thing that will keep me off the water. Everyone be safe tomorrow they are calling for some pretty strong wind gusts. Chris.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks