Warped propeller shaft

zxninja

Hey guys....hit a submerged log last weekend up in Parry Sound. After replacing my prop.....I noticed that the propeller shaft is now warped. Im pretty handy but have never worked on a lower unit. Its a 1998 yamaha 60hp OB. Anyone have an idea how hard it is to replace the shaft or some tips/links for me.

Thanks

Depends on how out of round it is, a repair shop can straighten it. After hitting a rock this year the mechanic said as long as you do not leak oil or get water in the oil anything up to 12/1000" is okay.

Just get it fixed, or it will come back to haunt you when you're 12 miles out. My 2 cents. Cheers GPS

That really sucks zxninja, wouldn't have happened on the way to Shawanaga would it?
I know a guy in Port Franks, not sure where you are at, may be along drive, but he does good work. Let me know if you would like his number.........

Bogz

yes it can be straightened at a machine shop === more importantly it should be rechromed and built up and then turned down likely at a fraction of the price of replacement. a goood machine shop can do it all for you

Yes pike....it was at the Shawanaga....bad way to start the trip....but the fishing was great again. 19 pics between 9-11:30am helped ease the pain. Then a shore lumch and a couple beers pretty well made me accept the fact that I will be looking at so.e $$$ to get hwr back up to par. And I will for sure get it fixed before the season. No way will I be headi g out into Erie without the motor being 100%.

Zxninja,

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the rock that is right in the middle of the channel and within 100' of opening back up to a little bay at the back of Shawanaga river? If this is - I hit the same rock in 2008 and my boat was 1 day old. I feel the pain! I bent my shaft and lost my prop too.

A few years back I lost 2 complete bottom ends on my Honda OB at $3,200 a crack in a span of 6 months. I took out one fishing for walleye in Quebec and one here in Ontario. After 45 years of accident free boating I painfully wrote it off as a fluke of Murphy's Law. Those rock shields in the northern lakes and rivers are merciless on props and bottom ends. 8D

Good to hear you got some fish and a shore lunch ninja....water was WAY down this year, no doubt more than a few bottom ends took a beating this season!
Butsy, too bad noone told you to stay to the left of the marker there....wouldn't have been a problem this year though, cause it is right out of the water, no problem spotting it before you hit it.
On a good note, the locals I know there say the low water is a definite cycle of around 50-60 years.....they showed me some dock rings tagged into the rock (exposed out of water now) that I didn't even know were there (wouldda been 4-5 feet under last year). Anyway they were used in the sixties to tie docks out far enough to float the boats......kindda cool to know this is not the first time water has been like this and to hope it comes back!

Bogz

Hi Pikefishinfever,

Yes you are correct if I had stayed to the left I would have missed that rock shoal. Anyways, very intresting information you shared let's hope the water levels come back up in the near future.

Do you know of any cottages for rent on Point au Braille?

Take care,
Butsy

Know the area well and it was just bad luck. I was just heading into the river from the bay, in 15 foot of water.....caught a submerged log.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks