Warning re: commercial boats moving to Nanticoke area and the "Elbow"

Saw one net out there today running N-S out in 80ish fow but it was a canned net which is suspended right along the surface. If you cross the floats between the flags your're gonna get hung up. Other than that I managed to dodge the armada of fish tugs......

I was out last night...there is actually two long nets running n/s right in front of the stacks, first one starts around 50' and goes to 65' and then a small gap and the other one starts, going out to about 80'! Haha he dropped them right on my marks from last weekend, so I had to go off and find a new spot...which ended up working out quite well ;)

I was out last night...there is actually two long nets running n/s right in front of the stacks, first one starts around 50' and goes to 65' and then a small gap and the other one starts, going out to about 80'! Haha he dropped them right on my marks from last weekend, so I had to go off and find a new spot...which ended up working out quite well ;)

I stand corrected, thanks. I didn't see the one in shallower. If they follow my marks from yesterday they are going to head home fairly disappointed....

You could be mistaking well markers for net markers. They will not be dropping nets near the well heads... I would imagine. Just getting caught in one of those markers is probably a huge time waster for them.

You could be mistaking well markers for net markers. They will not be dropping nets near the well heads... I would imagine. Just getting caught in one of those markers is probably a huge time waster for them.

The gas markers are single white posts. These are nets.

they have been moved this morning to the east closer into the schaol and i think also re set in 80ftw . but never made it that deep today

That was me @chefboyardee on your starboard side when you were going out. We put 2 in the box, 70 feet of water, 10 colours with a Reef Runner blue and purple. The water temp has gone up 6 degrees in a week or so. Marked many right on bottom as deep as 75 feet of water. They are deeper now.

The net I saw today are clearly marked. There were 5 or so floats marking them and it was very close a white float with a red flag. NG well? Correct me if it isn't a NG marker. That would be SE of 5 mile reef.

The gas wells do not have flags they are simply a white marker that look like a piece of 4" PVC drainage pipe sticking 3-4 feet out of the water; some have a red tip but not many. There aren't too many of them on the deep side of the elbow drop off but there are lots more further West up on the flats.
The white marker with the flag was the end of the net and it is a 'canned net' that you are seeing so there is floats in between each end (these aren't too common down this way, more so down the in the West end of the lake) . Weighted gill nets are more common here and have no floats, just a flag on each end so they are even harder to see sometimes.

On another note, I had the temperature probe down on Wednesday out in that area and there is finally a thermocline starting to set up at around 36' or so. The surface temp is up to 78' and the water was 66F just above the thermocline and in the 50's just below. The TC should move deeper fairly quickly with all the hot calm weather and I would expect the fish will move deeper as well as it does. We got all our fish above 30 fow Wednesday again which seems pretty strange for this time of year.

Last edited:
There was a net set in 60 ft of water just east of nanticoke I discovered on my way over from maitland.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks