Warning re: commercial boats moving to Nanticoke area and the "Elbow"

Bassassin

I will stand corrected and admit I was wrong. Last week or so a discussion came up when it was suggested that the commercial fishermen will fish areas because of reports by recreational guys and gals. Well today I was told by a very reputable source that there are 20 or so commercial boats that are moving from Burwell/Bruce area to south of Nanticoke and the Elbow based on reports of great catches from this very web site. So you guys were right and I was wrong. Just as I was told this while sitting on my deck we hear the rumble of a commercial boat and sure enough there is a commercial boat about 6 miles strait off Hoovers Point dropping net.

Better be careful out there. If there are only 1/2 that many boats there will be many nets dropped.

As per AIS at this present time the vessel you are looking at off Hoovers is the Andrea Marie, a gas well service tug heading home to Port Maitland. Not a fishing vessel.

Correct she was down near Burwell this am checking well heads
Don't think the boats from Stanley will head that way usually fill there quota here and head back Leamington way and as far as I know just a couple local boats at Burrell that fish

The Susan Michele was working Burwell today. Both look quite the same. Andrea Marie worked Long Point Bay all day out of Dover.
Only boats headed this way are the summer trawler fleet from Wheatley who come here every summer for their smelt quota. The 6 or so Dover trawlers have been back over a week.

My mistake did not see a name just the tug in close past Burwell could not figure out at first then could see was a work boat

I don't know why a tug inspecting well heads would be dropping nets. I'll be out tomorrow and after lunch will scoot over there and look for myself.

I don't think that there are 20 fish tugs total between Bruce and Burwell, I doubt there is even 10. Anyway, if a couple do show up and drop some nets out there what's the big deal, just avoid them while you're trolling. They have as much right to fish there as we do. Whether they rely on Stomps to find the fish or not is another matter.

I will stand corrected and admit I was wrong. Last week or so a discussion came up when it was suggested that the commercial fishermen will fish areas because of reports by recreational guys and gals. Well today I was told by a very reputable source that there are 20 or so commercial boats that are moving from Burwell/Bruce area to south of Nanticoke and the Elbow based on reports of great catches from this very web site. So you guys were right and I was wrong. Just as I was told this while sitting on my deck we hear the rumble of a commercial boat and sure enough there is a commercial boat about 6 miles strait off Hoovers Point dropping net.

Better be careful out there. If there are only 1/2 that many boats there will be many nets dropped.
My son just ran into a net out there this morning .Had to explain the principal of a gate marked by 2 flags . Got the gear back with no damage .too bad the commercial guys are there fishing has been awesome ,tough bite yesterday only 4.

I know I could use a refresher, as could some others I would think. Could someone give us the "cole's notes" of what to look for and how to avoid nets? Thanks.

I trolled back from Hastings on Sunday after perchin. it was like a maze out there with all the nets between 56 and 60 feet. we had no issues with gear but they do come up on you fast. i will give the guys who set these nets credit they were well marked compared to others i have encountered, i did see two markers about 50-100 ' apart very close. is this what you are reffering to as the GATE? We bagged 6 walleye however all in 60 '. 1st 2 fish off the rigger 25 feet back 37 down (chrome shark balls) gold Ripplin, 3rd fish came off rigger 35 feet back 40 down (Copper plated shark ball) silver Ripplin, 4th fish Dipsey 125' back setting 3(braid) with a pink panty spoon, 5th fish purple Hot Lips 235 feet back 11/2" ounce inline weight (braid/floro) and the 6th fish we took off Dipsey 135 back setting 3 on the Tail Dancer Purple. No real pattern and didn't mark any of these fish. Had a triple header and landed 2 of the 3. Also lost 1 rainbow off rigger and Pink Panty 25 feet down 25 back of ball. Perchin slowed down after troller went through Hastings so a trolling we would go. We already had 75 biggins anyways between 3 of us average 11"s . We took all of them in hour and a half using salted minnows only. Tight Lines guys

I am sure there has been a net out in front the stack on and off since June. In around 45FOW near the shoal. There was another one that was abandoned.

If they are relying on this forum for their living... well best of luck! The chatter on 68 is probably better but given that walleye is under $10 lb at Caudles catch in Waterloo (they are never the best price) by bet is the commercial guys aren't having a hard time finding fish.

Saw one net out there today running N-S out in 80ish fow but it was a canned net which is suspended right along the surface. If you cross the floats between the flags your're gonna get hung up. Other than that I managed to dodge the armada of fish tugs......

I don't know the true definition of a Tug boat but those boats I see out here are nothing like the tugs that serviced the CSL freighters at the Stelco docks when I was a Dock Foreman back in the 70's. They were short wide vessels completely surrounded by rubber used to nudge those monsters into position or push and pull them to the harbour front piers when they were broken down. These aren't the tugs we dealt with.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks