Walleye - Port Burwell - Thursday, July 5th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Albert and I decided to try fishing Port Burwell for walleye this morning. We went SE of the harbour to 58 fow, worked our way out to 61 fow and back to 56 fow. We fished lead core, downriggers, dipsy's spoons, body baits and worm harnesses both high and low from 6:30 AM until 10:55 am and had one hit. We caught a single 7 pound eye. Some anglers did better and managed to run into a cooperative school of walleye but it was tough, tough fishing for most. Winds were light and varable with surface water temps between 73 and 74.We didn't mark many fish. A significant thunder storm went through the area just before daylight.

Tough one. I had a similar day on Monday but finally found them out in deeper water 63-65 Ft straight out of burwell. I am going this afternoon to see if I can locate a few. I'll post my results tonight.

Schenley

We were out on Monday ended up with 2 eyes and 2 rainbows so many nets out there I don't think the fish have a chance to get by never seen so many

Well Arnie, when was the last time you've got more fish in the LPB vs. Burwell?
I bet it's been a while :D
Were you marking fish on the sonar?
Maybe a few weeks to early for the prime time?

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Hey Arnold,
Didn't hear you on the radio this morning. Fished Burwell too (solo). Went a bit west and fished 57-58 FOW. Landed 3 eyes on the dipsey/harness and lost a bow at the boat when the spoon tangled in the net as he jumped out of it...... was tough going, but not surprising given the storms that ran thru the area.........
Paul

Sworn to Truth
thumb.jpg

Hi Paul, Had I known you were there I would have called you on the radio for advice.....it's your stomping ground. We did run some worm harnesses off the dipsy's but could not find the right depth. We were using #1 dipsy's on #3 setting and tried 60', 80' and 100' back with chartreuse/black, firetiger, silver/yellow harnesses with both both willow and colorado blades....nothing. I caught the only eye on a orange/yellow Frenzy body bait down 30'.
quote:
Originally posted by plaw64

Hey Arnold,
Didn't hear you on the radio this morning. Fished Burwell too (solo). Went a bit west and fished 57-58 FOW. Landed 3 eyes on the dipsey/harness and lost a bow at the boat when the spoon tangled in the net as he jumped out of it...... was tough going, but not surprising given the storms that ran thru the area.........
Paul

Sworn to Truth
thumb.jpg

We had similar results on Monday, out of Burwell as well. Fished 56-59 fow, caught an 8lb walleye on a dipsy up high in 21 fow. One giant sheepshead, two silver bass and a jumbo perch, that was it!!

Anything That Swims
Fish em All

fished monday night from 5:30 till 11:30pm and picked up 6 eyes straight out 58 to 60 caught our last one just after dark on a glow in the dark spoon as we were marking tonnes of fish turned around 20 mins later and the fish disapeared couldn't find them again so we packed up. Was a beautiful night on the lake with that full moon monday.

Nice try Arnie. Got to agree with Emil, looks like the Elbow is coming back to life with some summer heat.
Did you try for some jumbos on the way in?

Brian (Legend Man)

Morning after full moon is always tough.... Add a electrical storm and makes for tough sledding...

Yeah! your right. The electrical storm was not forecast and I would have probably cancelled had I known. The moon was bright for sure before the storm moved in.
quote:
Originally posted by jammer

Morning after full moon is always tough.... Add a electrical storm and makes for tough sledding...

No Brian, I had the radio on and it sounded like the perch guys were about as busy as us at Burwell.
quote:
Originally posted by jumbos

Nice try Arnie. Got to agree with Emil, looks like the Elbow is coming back to life with some summer heat.
Did you try for some jumbos on the way in?

Brian (Legend Man)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks