Walleye on riggers

going on line

When fish walleye using down riggers how far do you run the bait behind the cannon ball.
Thanks !

To me it depends on a few factors. I generally start short(approx 10') and from there let it out further as needed. Have to also consider what lure is on there as tend to run body baits on shorter leads as they will dive below the ball depth and mess up the actual depth u are targeting. Last time i was out and the fish were not aggressive i had 75 ' out with my spoon off the ball so it is dependant on the bite that day imo

I use the chrome and copper Shark weights. If Sunny out I run no more than 25', If cloudy move back to 50 max. Do really well with the weights over the last few years.

I usually don't run any farther back than 30 ft. unless nothing's happening which is pretty rare these days. :)

Huh. Looks like I'll be changing things up! I was running 50' leaders. If wasn't catching anything I would go to 100' then 150. Maybe I'll try shorter ?

What I do a lot @Waldo peters is if after 15 minutes of no hits on the rigger I purposely kick it off while holding the rod letting the lure drift upwards. A high percentage of the time it will trigger an instant hit because bait doesn't swim in a straight line therefore it looks much more natural. Try it I think you will be impressed with the number of hits that otherwise wouldn't happened. :)

@Wave Runner that's an awesome idea. However in my case I can't do that because I have the Chamberlain release. I have the verticle as tight as I can. I suppose if I loosened it enough that I could still put tention and when I "set the line" it would snap out.

@Wave Runner that's an awesome idea. However in my case I can't do that because I have the Chamberlain release. I have the verticle as tight as I can. I suppose if I loosened it enough that I could still put tention and when I "set the line" it would snap out.

I do it all the time with my chamberlain releases, just have to set them up right.

I can do it with my Chamberlains, play with the settings @Waldo peters

I have mine set so that i can crank the rods down to the water but they release with a quick pop of the rod.

I usually go with the 100' thing and almost always use slider on the mainline with a spoon. Hooks must be sticky sharp on the slider or you'll lose many fish.

What I do a lot @Waldo peters is if after 15 minutes of no hits on the rigger I purposely kick it off while holding the rod letting the lure drift upwards. A high percentage of the time it will trigger an instant hit because bait doesn't swim in a straight line therefore it looks much more natural. Try it I think you will be impressed with the number of hits that otherwise wouldn't happened. :)
Hi Wave Runner..... Being a single on a boat with 2 rods out...I stop the boat when I have fish on....the other ,line and Dypsy and lure drop to the bottom...when I start trolling again,30 seconds later I get a hit on that rod. Not all the time but like you said...you would be surprised how many hits you get. ?

Absolutely @Thirstystone the climbing lure triggers hits a lot of the time. Also many times hits come while making turns as the inside lure slows down while the outside lure speeds up. When things are slow, which mind you is a rare occurrence these days, I purposely run wide S patterns to shake things up. However we have such a terrific walleye fishery of hungry savages we seldom have to go outside the box in order to fill the box. ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks