Fishing Report Walleye - Elbow - Sunday, September 6th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Fished the Nanticoke side of the Elbow this morning launching in Port Dover at about 8 am. We fished until noon trolling from 45 fow to 90 fow and back to 50 fow before pulling the rods. We only had two bites and landed 1 sheephead fishing 4 rods and changing between down riggers, dipsy's and lead core up to 10 colours using RRF's, worm harnesses and spoons down 35 to 60 feet. This will be our last attempt targeting walleye in the area this season. Last year was probably our best year ever with an average of close to a 6 fish limit each and every time we went out. I haven't verified it yet but 2020 was probably my personal poorest walleye year in this area in the 40 years that I've fished here. That said, I didn't target walleye locally in the early eighties.

We are now at 67 fow with only 12 walleyes and 4 ppl in the boat, I know could be worse....and 2 drums since 8 am off Hoovers. I agree, very hard bite this year, last year was on fire around this time... sigh...

We went out south of the shoal starting in 45’ and out to 50’. Got two quickly by 8 then nothing until 11. Worm harness with 8 colours and chartreuse Bomber off a dipsey back 155 worked. Tried lots of other spoons and body baits as well. Last time out this year which was okay but not near what the last few years were. Pulled the boat and off to Agnew Lake for the first time Tuesday for a week. Hopefully that will be enjoyable. Tight lines.

I was out as well this morning. We headed to the south side of the point for protection from that strong north east wind. Fished from 40 out to 160 and all over but 140 seemed to be best. We ended up with 12 and 3 bows. Had to work for them. 10 colours did nothing But wash. Had to get lures down 65 feet to get bites for both the bows and pics. Dispeys back 150 on 2 and 180 on 3 and one rigger down 65 did the damage.

Still waiting for one more day off Burwell.....time is really ticking though
Good luck Brian! I guess we simply never connected with the Walleye in 2020 and therefore never had a successful strategy to start with. Typically once you figure out what works you have a starting point and can usually adjust enough to reconnect even if the time it consumes is most of the time you have.

Fished the Nanticoke side of the Elbow this morning launching in Port Dover at about 8 am. We fished until noon trolling from 45 fow to 90 fow and back to 50 fow before pulling the rods. We only had two bites and landed 1 sheephead fishing 4 rods and changing between down riggers, dipsy's and lead core up to 10 colours using RRF's, worm harnesses and spoons down 35 to 60 feet. This will be our last attempt targeting walleye in the area this season. Last year was probably our best year ever with an average of close to a 6 fish limit each and every time we went out. I haven't verified it yet but 2020 was probably my personal poorest walleye year in this area in the 40 years that I've fished here. That said, I didn't target walleye locally in the early eighties.

I’ve had the same year Arne, but I think I’ve broken my record on catching so many Sheephead. I’m also done heading out there as well.
I’ve made a couple of trips to our pike grounds already. Went out yesterday morning again and the water temps have dropped and the weeds are dying off. Still a lot of floaters and a continuous reeling in cleaning off the lines. The action has picked up from a week ago.
Guess we will be meeting up again this fall for some pike action. Try not letting Albert out fish you😂

Don’t feel bad man many of us In the same situation I feel like 2020 is the worse fishing year as well

Good luck Brian! I guess we simply never connected with the Walleye in 2020 and therefore never had a successful strategy to start with. Typically once you figure out what works you have a starting point and can usually adjust enough to reconnect even if the time it consumes is most of the time you have.
Arnie....last time we were out off Burwell, we kinda got pushed towards the east(Sandhills) because of all the boats. Just lucked out though, cause we hit a big school with no other boat around. Two passes through it and we had our 18, even had to let 4 go back over the side when we were clearing lines. I think strategy is good for the charter guys who go out every day, But for us once a week guys.....Luck....is the real name of the game. I have fished Burwell in late September before, but I think Burwell will be done until next year, the NE winds just don’t want to give us a break.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks