Walleye Burgers

GPS

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Made some tonight from a recipe a friend shared. Turned out real good.

Hoping for a picture or recipe

Oh forgot to post, sorry.
I used about a pound and a half of fillets. (made 6 half inch patties)
Cut fillets up and pulse in food processor until mush
Put in a mixing bowl and add chopped up cilantro, chopped green onion.
3/4 cup of Panko crumbs, 1 egg, salt and pepper to taste.
Spice of choice ( I used 1 1/2 tsp of Old Bay)
Mix with clean fingers and form into patties, dip in a milk
and egg wash and again coat with a layer of panko crumbs.

Put on a tray, cover with Saran and into the freezer for two or three hours to firm up.
I cooked them straight out of the freezer in a cast pan with a bit of vegetable oil.

A quick and simple meal, thin slice of onion, lettuce and home made tarter sauce on a bun.
Modify ingredients to taste.

Oh forgot to post, sorry.
I used about a pound and a half of fillets. (made 6 half inch patties)
Cut fillets up and pulse in food processor until mush
Put in a mixing bowl and add chopped up cilantro, chopped green onion.
3/4 cup of Panko crumbs, 1 egg, salt and pepper to taste.
Spice of choice ( I used 1 1/2 tsp of Old Bay)
Mix with clean fingers and form into patties, dip in a milk
and egg wash and again coat with a layer of panko crumbs.

Put on a tray, cover with Saran and into the freezer for two or three hours to firm up.
I cooked them straight out of the freezer in a cast pan with a bit of vegetable oil.

A quick and simple meal, thin slice of onion, lettuce and home made tarter sauce on a bun.
Modify ingredients to taste.
Similar to the recipe I use for fish cakes, with a few modifications.

Ingredients

▢450 g cod boneless, skinless, patted dry (I use perch or Walleye)

▢4 tbsp parsley finely chopped

▢2 scallions/spring onions finely chopped (I use green onion)

▢2 eggs 1 lightly beaten

▢½ tsp fine sea salt and pepper to taste (I season as I choose, you should too)

▢8 tbsp panko breadcrumbs plus 1-2 tbsp for coating

▢2 tbsp olive oil (I use canola or vegetable oil unless I cook them in the oven)

Instructions

• Cut the fish into chunks and place in a food processor. Pulse a few times to break up the pieces but do not overprocess and turn into paste.
  • Transfer into a mixing bowl and combine with the rest of the ingredients (not the beaten egg). Stir thoroughly.
  • Make generous size round shapes pressing the mixture together ensuring it feels firm, not loose, then flatten gently to form fish cakes. Brush both sides with the beaten egg and coat with the remaining breadcrumbs.

In a large non-stick pan heat up about a tablespoon of the oil and fry the fish cakes over a medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through and nicely browned on the outside. Add a little more oil once you've turned them over. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.

Notes

• If using frozen fish defrost it first then gently squeeze out excess water and pat dry using paper towel.
  • Try not to overprocess the fish. It should still have some texture.
  • Use panko breadcrumbs rather than fine breadcrumbs as these can produce denser fish cakes.
  • Fry the fishcakes over a medium heat so they have enough time to cook through without browning too quickly. Thick fishcakes will need about 3.5 minutes on each side. Try not to overcook your fish cakes. Remove from the pan as soon as they are fully cooked.
  • Do not overcrowd the pan. You need to be able to comfortably turn the fish cakes over.

• You can prepare the fish cakes up to 2 hours in advance. I don't recommend preparing them too far in advance as they contain raw onion which can affect the flavour of the fish if left uncooked for too long.
  • Best served immediately.
  • If using fish that hasn't been frozen before you can freeze the fish cakes for up to 3 months. Place raw fish cakes, without the egg and breadcrumb coating, in an airtight container (I vacuum seal mine) and separate with parchment paper so they don't stick to one another
  • To defrost the fish cakes remove from the container and spread on top of a plate.
  • Brush with the beaten egg, coat in breadcrumbs and fry.

I'm TRYING to cook my supper right now too HH. ;):ROFLMAO:

You know, those 4 nice perch I brought home today. So I have OIL on the stove with FIRE under it.........I kinda have to keep an eye on THAT right?
I'm trying a slightly different batter this time, and I'm NOT sure I'm sold on it. Will make up my mind once I've finished cookin it and have a taste whether I like it or not. IF I don't, I won't post it. IF I do, I will.

I'm trying a slightly different batter this time, and I'm NOT sure I'm sold on it. Will make up my mind once I've finished cookin it and have a taste whether I like it or not. IF I don't, I won't post it. IF I do, I will.
Nope. DON'T like the batter. Won't waste anyone's time by posting it, (other than my own for trying it. But that's a mistake I can rectify by simply NOT using this particular recipe again ;) )

It tastes ok, but it didn't get crispy, and it claims to be a crispy batter. They either don't know what that means, or they lied.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks