Walkie talkie weather and waves?

FrankTheTank

I was listning to the weather on my walkie talkie and herd them talking about the waves on lake erire and was wondering when they say 2 to 4 foot would you still double that as you would the other sorces because they dont account for the under draw?
The frequencies they run are
KAB98 162.55mhtz

WWU32 162.425
It says that at the end of the broad cast i figurd you guys with the marine vhf channels might know if thats the same weather station you tune into?
Thanks

I am next to positive that the report issued by the CCG for wave height is measured as "trough to crest". Not sure what you mean by "under draw" ? Under tow ?

Went to check on your question using my handheld Uniden Voyager model VHF radio and the battery finally packed it in. Doesn't want to take a charge either. Dang ! Got to buy a new one as RadioWorld already told me they can't get replacement batteries as that model is considered extinct. Got about 30 years service from it so for my 200 bucks I won't complain. LoL !

I am next to positive that the report issued by the CCG for wave height is measured as "trough to crest". Not sure what you mean by "under draw" ? Under tow ?

Went to check on your question using my handheld Uniden Voyager model VHF radio and the battery finally packed it in. Doesn't want to take a charge either. Dang ! Got to buy a new one as RadioWorld already told me they can't get replacement batteries as that model is considered extinct. Got about 30 years service from it so for my 200 bucks I won't complain. LoL !
Cant argue with that life span. One of my 2 walkies took a sh!t on me this year only 2 years old wont take a charge anymore theyve been sitting on the charger since boating season last year.

As for the under draw i remember people saysing before when looking at wave height you double it because they only take a reading from flat lake not the draw before the wave crests so if its a 2 foot er it would actually be a 4 footer

I believe all waves are measured trough to crest, just like Old Cut said...but wind and waves in close to shore can vary. :giggle:

I believe all waves are measured trough to crest, just like Old Cut said...but wind and waves in close to shore can vary. :giggle:
So then you take it at face value then a 4' is 4' because i thought before on the windy app and wave finder you had to double the number they gave you?

Double the waves height from the bouy but the apps I’m not sure. I double them also because they’re usually wrong.
Where are they even predicting the height of these waves? we all know it’s different from shoreline-10miles out.

I use the WindFinder app and all it says about wave height predictions is it's based on wind, waves and swell..... duh... really ? That's why I like listening to CCG Marine Reports. WindFinder did state a lot of it's info comes from sites like NOAA and I'm guessing CCG uses it also along with Environment Canada, it's own weather buoys/stations plus info from ships at sea and yes I do recall CCG issues a disclaimer about "shoreline effect" and how it may effect their report.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks