VHF radio license

mcsteve

The wife and kids gave me a nice VHF radio to add to my new boat for Christmas. Reading the documentation I am unclear if I need a license in Canada to operate it or not. Can anyone help shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

What a great gift! If boating in Canadian waters you do not need a station license. All operators of a VHF radio require a marine radio operators certificate. If your radio has digital selective calling feature (DSC) you also need radio operators certificate with DSC endorsement. You will need to contact your local Power and Sail Squadron to register for the course and book examination. All well worth it!!!

Thanks Wavemaster. I was impressed when they listened to some of the hints I had dropped. I have found the Power and Sail web site for Southwestern Ontario. Does anyone know if there is a chapter in the KW area?

Found a link for you for the KW power and sail squadron, I took the course in oct and it was well worth it! Only took 4 nights and I think it was $70 for the DSC endorsement course. http://www.kwpowerandsail.ca/

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks