Veradero

Buckster

Heading down mid feb. I know veradero isn't known for its shore fishing, but just wondering if anyone has had success fishing it from shore. Plan on bringing some fly tackle down, maybe spin tackle as well. Id be willing to travel a bit within reason but would like to stick relatively close to the resorts.

we did a little fishing in Veradero. we did some night fishing for cammera in the canal in veradero with the locals using shrimp for bait, also we rented scooters to ride about halfway to Mantanzas to fish the ocean at a spot just off the road. we didn t catch anything big but still fun.as well to the east of the highway coming into veradero there are flats with mangroves growing along the edge wish I would have brought some fly gear with shrimp flys etc.
IMG_1767.JPG IMG_1770.JPG

Last edited:
Talk to the Hobbie Cat guys at your resort when you get there. I just returned from Cayo Coco and went out with them for Barracuda and Snapper. They troll lures behind while sailing along. It was 40 CUC for 2.5 hrs. I'm sure they will have the same there. The guys are pretty hush hush about it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. It's a cheap way to get out on the water.

hers the lo down on veradero, you can go on the catamaran trip for a day or you can rent a full day charter boat for fishing if you got 4 people for the same price and do what ever you like with it 350cuc was 2 years ago.

what i did when i was there was rent a scooter for the day i went all the way to the end of veradero, they were building new hotels out there at the time . and manage to get on this point and caught a few yellow tails and pargo snapper on the fly rod with lefty deceivers and tan crab patterns . this seems the best fly fishing option for me. there is a small bar across from the gas station on the main road on your way into veradero. (on the left ) with a small rocky inlet this shows good promise on the right tide but never any luck there . i hit a lot of little side paths trying to find flats to walk. to my horror i saw a lot of tarpon dead and scaled in the bush.

if you go to the far side of veradero towards Havana, you go over a bridge and there is a channel there i saw a few tarpon rolling there in the early mornings and there lots of snapper around. again the tide is crucial to this spot . if you go over that bridge there is a small bay inlet that you can find some good casting room for flies and there is fish there but no luck for me there. if you keep going on the road to Havana it opens up with a real flat rocky coast line that i never fished but wish i had carried on from veradero and tried people fishing everywhere on that road .

the best place i found though was on cayo blanco, saw some bones there but just to many people swimming and all spooked, if you can get some one to take you there for the day and pick you up this is the best place to go i caught a barracuda and 4 different snapper there in a hour . this is the island they go for lunch on the charter boat or the catamaran trip so definitely take your gear .

if you wanna go fly fishing in cuba cayo coco or santa maria is the place to go , if you ever need info for there let me know i got all the skinny on that place .

im off in 2 weeks to costa rica to fish in the los suenos fist leg of the triple crown billfish tourney with Steve hard castle of fishmasters

barracuda @cayo blanco
557663_10150952832328753_156267743_n.jpg

Looks like you lost some weight chef. Say hi to Steve for me and good luck. I love Costa Rica. A pal from Hamilton just sold his little resort slash Pizzeria and I will miss it.

Thanks for the replies fellas!! This is a little more encouraging than what I've read online.

I didn't fish when in Veradero 2 years ago but after I got there wished I brought a travel rod and a few lures. I watched a few locals fish right from the docks next to the resort at the marina. It was sad to see the stuff they were forced to use. Rusted hooks, different line tied together and steel nuts for weights. When you head down bring some odd left over tackle with you to leave and they will love you for it. Also make sure you have the necessary license(s) if you need one, ask. I know we got jacked up by the local Federali in Costa Rica for just about anything they could come up with. We stick out like a sore thumb if we went out without our host. Funny all the fines there were always 20 US and cash only. It took a few times for us to get wise and just say no way Jose.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks