Venison Roast

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Doing up a nice Venison Roast from Slancys Buck I’ve done this recipe before a few times everyone loves it
I’ll add photos of it when it’s finished as well

8CF9E6D7-64FE-479A-8FEF-5AD28DCB44F9.jpeg237BA879-05C7-4213-B064-E899E686EA51.jpeg

Last edited:
I chopped up two roasts and made a big pot of stew for the week and with this crappy weather it will be perfect ! Have to admit your recipe looks great and I will give it a try . Noticed comments about it being too salty ? Enough low sodium products out there should take care of that because you can always add later if needed. I like those stroganoff recipes too ! Hard to screw up if you go low and slow.

Last edited:
I chopped up two roasts and made a big pot of stew for the week and with this crappy weather it will be perfect ! Have to admit your recipe looks great and I will give it a try . Noticed comments about it being too salty ? Enough low sodium products out there should take care of that because you can always add later if needed. I like those stroganoff recipes too ! Hard to screw up if you go low and slow.
Could always cut the garlic salt in half I suppose I didn’t notice last time I made it
I’ll take note tonight

I also use Maggie’s seasoning rather then Soya sauce some brands of soya sauce are very salty

LoL ! A lot of us old farts are on low sodium diets now probably due to too much fast (food?) living when we were younger, I guess ? I always thought that salt and grease were two of the major food groups, but my doctor and waistline say otherwise.

I use the 1/2 sodium soya sauce in my jerky recipe, and a bit of Maggie

Pretty darn good! I like it with the salt @Old Cut LongPointer but I think it would still be good without the garlic salt. You could substitute garlic powder? And as @GPS mentioned use the low sodium soya sauce

I rarely if ever use garlic, onion, or celery salt in anything. I'll use garlic powder and onion powder etc because in most things I'm going to cook, I'll be adding a little bit of salt and pepper to it anyways to taste at some point, so using things like garlic salt or onion salt is just adding more salt to something I've almost certainly already added salt too. Rule of thumb when seasoning, you can always add more if necessary, but once it's in there, it's in there and you can't take it out and it's a major pain in the ass to try to "fix it" when you've added to much. You're better off to file it under "G" and start over.

Actually if you cook something an it's too salty I heard if you put peeled potatoes in there the potatoes will absorb the salt.

Actually if you cook something an it's too salty I heard if you put peeled potatoes in there the potatoes will absorb the salt.
Not exactly true my friend. As with all seasonings you put into something, the longer it's in there, the more the flavor of those seasonings will be absorbed into the entire dish, not just one aspect of it. That why something you made today, ie a spaghetti sauce, will have more flavor tomorrow, but especially with salt, if you put to much, you may as well start over. It's easier than trying to "fix" having put too much in.

Generally, salt and pepper are the last seasonings you should add to your dish because they're such strong seasonings and you should only add them to taste, meaning, you put it in a little at a time until you can just barely notice it's there when you taste it after stirring or folding it into the dish. Also, some things are naturally salty, ie certain cheeses, and those naturally salty ingredients you may have used will impact how much salt you do or do not need to add. IF for example you've used garlic salt, onion salt, celery salt, as seasonings for a dish you're making, chances are, you've already over salted the dish. Adding more salt will only make it worse. The same thing can be said of sugar. Some things are naturally sweet, and you may not need to add any sweetener such as sugar to the dish as a result. Remember, with all seasonings, but especially salt and pepper, it's better to have put in too little, than too much, because those you serve the dish too can always add salt and pepper at the table, and they can add it according to their taste and liking, but they cannot take out what you've put in.

In order to mitigate having put to much of any seasoning into something, IF you're going to try to "fix" it, you start by increasing in quantity what you've put into the dish as the main ingredients of that dish AND you'd have to potentially add an awful lot of the other seasonings you've used. You can't just leave it as is without adding more of the main ingredients and hope for the best, and even then, it may not do what you hope or expect, and you could end up with the unintended result of having made enough to feed a small army and it still might be to salty, and therefore inedible, especially if you don't have any extra of the main ingredients to put into the dish as you attempt to "fix" it.

As I said, when it comes to seasoning, you can always add more if necessary, but once it's in there, it's in there, and you can't take it out, and it's by far much more of a pain in the ass trying to "fix" it, than it is starting over.

I used peeled potatoes in this meal but I also like salt lol
Yeah I like salt too, and I often find that McDonald's never puts enough on their fries, so I'm always adding a packet to them. But at the same time, sometimes they add too much to their burgers. Can't win ;)

I had a very good friend who used to work at McDonald's for over 20 years. He told me if I wanted fresh fries every time, just order them with no salt. :ROFLMAO:

That's what I have always done. The once a year we eat at McDonalds the fries get ordered with no salt. They make a new batch with new utensils and pull yours out first. That way they don't sit under a red heat lamp.

Also I finished my batch of venison jerky today and tested. I nailed the flavour but cut the meat across the grain instead of with the grain.
"Note to self for next time.":(

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks