US Perch

10 limit for perch is nonsense. In 5 years it will be 200 because everyone quit targeting them.

Imagine the fishery we could have if they closed the whole inner bay to fishing for just 1 year from Nov to July.

The 1.12 million recreational fishermen that contribute 1.6 billion dollars a year into the Ontario economy may be allowed a measly 10 perch limit if Ontario should follow Ohio's lead. While the Commercial fishermen In comparison only contribute a mear 230 million into the Ontario economy are allowed 3.737 million pounds of yellow perch. What's wrong with this picture? :rolleyes: ☹️

Sorry was not looking to start a fight or make anyone mad. It was just posted as food for thought.

Sorry was not looking to start a fight or make anyone mad. It was just posted as food for thought.
No issues with your post or any of the others, it's good info that we need to know. It just seems to come up every year around this time when the TAC numbers come out and tends to spiral downhill more often than not.

Let's see what happens....by all accounts, perch numbers are down and all of the stakeholders somehow have to help them recover.

Last edited:
The Commercial fishermen side is a very hot issue for some. Myself I tend to look at the far reaching side of it. The fish they catch and sell has a far reaching impact on those who fish, process, ship and sell the finished product. Everyone needs a way to make a living. My wife and I fish for fun. If we catch no fish we still eat ever night.

I’d like to know how many lbs or kg recreational fishermen and woman pull from the central basin if not the entire lake compared to commercial fishermen/women

I’d like to know how many lbs or kg recreational fishermen and woman pull from the central basin if not the entire lake compared to commercial fishermen/women
That info is available in the LEC annual report, I will dig it up later when I have time. The commercial harvest is based on actual data and the rec side is based on a model using angler effort and reported success from the sport anglers. It's kind of interesting. Also, the actual harvest is usually quite a bit lower than the TAC set by the LEC.

The 1.12 million recreational fishermen that contribute 1.6 billion dollars a year into the Ontario economy may be allowed a measly 10 perch limit if Ontario should follow Ohio's lead. While the Commercial fishermen In comparison only contribute a mear 230 million into the Ontario economy are allowed 3.737 million pounds of yellow perch. What's wrong with this picture? :rolleyes: ☹️
Recreational things don't seem to have the same 'influence' as the industry groups. But. It's also local level politics. Recreational fisherman don't have a lot of influence over elections in the places they fish so the local politicians don't really represent them... but again... the local economy probably depends on them. You saw a bit of that this past summer when the locals wanted to close cottage country. Even some business owners supported it but then worried about making money...

Walleye boom needs more food to support exploding population. This increases competition meaning less minnows for perch and more perch eaten. Fewer fish spawn, population declines until food availability is restored and/or walleye numbers decrease.

After the walleye crash, which is inevitable with the great hatches they’ve had, we’ll see perch populations rebound.

Always had good numbers of both perch as well as walleye in the past. Walleye numbers certainly higher now but I haven't seen such lousy perch fishing at least in my lifetime and I've been around awhile. In the 80s the lake supported not only great numbers of perch and walleye but crazy numbers of Coho salmon also.

If the commercial fishermen (and women) have there quotas adjusted do to population estimates why can the not do the same for us recreational fishers ? Also if they get to increase there Walleye harvest by a few million pounds why not increase our limit to 7 per day? ( Just saying I'll be happy when I catch my first 6 in a day)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks