Up North Crown Land camping with good walleye fishing?

icefisherman

Hi Guys,

Kind of last minute idea so not much time to research. Thought I should tap into the unlimited forum knowledge.
Looking for a spot up North to take my family camping for few days, later this week. Needs to be on crown land (free camping with no reservation), to be able to take my boat to (fully equipped Lund 1700 Pro Sport) and most importantly to have good walleye fishing.

I did something like that few years ago to White River lake. Great spot for camping, killed the walleye there, was super. About 14 hrs driving there though. Hope to find something around the 10 hrs mark (from the GTA) or less if possible. If not may have to go back to White River again.

Thanks for all suggestions and ideas....feel free to PM as well for more private discussion.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Hwy 11 to Hwy 66. Left on 66 toward Matchewan. 8km turn right on Swastika Tree Farm rd. This gravel rd goes from 66 to Matheson (good shape). Google Watabeag Lake it is a long lake on right side maybe 30km mark. Couple good boat ramps. If you hit Carmen Rd on right you have gone too far.
Crown land on left side of road. Most land around Watabeag is cottagers.

Second option is turn left onto Carmen rd. Not as nice road but I travel it with a car. Follow Carmen rd to 4 way intersection. Right is called Gibson Lake rd. Turn left and this rd goes to Bing Lake (west Timiskaming). Good boat ramp and nice camping area. At the end of Bing there is a small creek. Lift motor and paddle push 100ft into Radisson Lake. Also nice remote camping spots ...... small sandy beach to the left. (Lakers too)

Third spot would be stay on 11. Then take 101 towards Timmins. Google Nighthawk Lake. Frederickhouse river flows from Nighthawk. Before the bridge on the left is Porcupine fish and game. Boat ramp there for a fee or cross Frederickhouse bridge and make first right. Free boat ramp.
Watch this lake. Shallow ++++ One 8 to 11ft channel towards whitefish river. Very shallow on left side with rocks. There is a few uninhabited islands on the lake. Moose island has a pebble beach. Crown land. Also watch as this lake can get some holy crapping my pants waves. 4 to 6ft at times.

Pm if you want more info.

Pierre lake or little abitibi lake north east of Cochrane .... good fishing and lots of crownland campsites. Message me if want more details

OK Guys,

Thanks for all suggestions here on the board and in PM's. Based on them below is the short list. Need to pick one location from by tomorrow night. Likely leaving on Wednesday. All are under/around 8 hrs driving. Needless to say with such a limited time I do count on the collective forum wisdom. Top priority if how good walleye fishing is this week. Then nice (beach) crown land camping site, good map (hopefully with depth contour and fishing spots marked), good launch/easy access for my boat, decent road condition to the launch, etc.

- Lady Evelyn
- Three corner lake
- Biscotassing lake
- Byng/Radisson Lake

Please comment on what the best option in your opinion is?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

I have the same boat.

Red Squirrel Lake, 20 minutes north of Temagami, 30 minutes off the highway, huge camping area, relatively easy to launch. All beautiful crown land.

You can even catch trout from shore on some of the other lakes. Some lakes have no fishing so mind your regs.

Love Red Squirrel , we would stay in Tamagami and day trip there, beautiful. Ramp can get busy and it might be a bit of a walk from where you park the trailer(old guy) but worth it. Road in is a bit bumpy and I remember that there were some big lumber trucks flying down the road all loaded up so it's important to stay on your side of the road over all hills and in turns.

OK Guys,

Thanks for all suggestions here on the board and in PM's. Based on them below is the short list. Need to pick one location from by tomorrow night. Likely leaving on Wednesday. All are under/around 8 hrs driving. Needless to say with such a limited time I do count on the collective forum wisdom. Top priority if how good walleye fishing is this week. Then nice (beach) crown land camping site, good map (hopefully with depth contour and fishing spots marked), good launch/easy access for my boat, decent road condition to the launch, etc.

- Lady Evelyn
- Three corner lake
- Biscotassing lake
- Byng/Radisson Lake

Please comment on what the best option in your opinion is?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Ice Fisherman
My vote would be Bisco or more specifically Ramsey Lake directly beside it. There is a launch south of Ramsey (not really a town!). You can camp at the landing if there’s room but we went for a 45 min boat ride back into Cat Bay and the fishing was amazing. There are islands that were pretty well set up for camping back in the day. No slot, 4 limit, not more than 1 over 46cm. You’ll be hard pressed to see a camp on that lake. It’s friggin beautiful up there.

Attachments

• 466C2C16-8D58-4137-9C26-E7A4568C361F.jpeg
    466C2C16-8D58-4137-9C26-E7A4568C361F.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 14
  • B15231FA-08F3-4749-8631-195ABB593062.jpeg
    B15231FA-08F3-4749-8631-195ABB593062.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 13
My vote would be Bisco or more specifically Ramsey Lake directly beside it. There is a launch south of Ramsey (not really a town!). You can camp at the landing if there’s room but we went for a 45 min boat ride back into Cat Bay and the fishing was amazing. There are islands that were pretty well set up for camping back in the day. No slot, 4 limit, not more than 1 over 46cm. You’ll be hard pressed to see a camp on that lake. It’s friggin beautiful up there.
Sorry, I missed the family part. Not a place for really young ones. We had my 10 year old nephew there but he was a hardcore fisherman by then. I’m sure it snowed in June while we were there 👍🏻🤣

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks