up date on live bait after m.n.r meeting

rushcreek

I did attend,to my suprize the attendance was poor,which is a shame for anyone who never attended or writes in before june 15 will not have a say in the matter in future again.For the most part i gathered these new ideas are just more tools to police the industry and get rid of bait dealers who do not have proper training and certificates which 100% do not have to this date, as of now .Can t understand why those that currently have dealer licence don t seem to care and speak up ,not one showed up .

As for bait harvesters this zero by catch policy seem to be no movement on it nor an m.n.r spokes person want to comment on,commercial bait harvesting is the only commercial fish harvesting that has this in place and yet the m.n.r do realize that this is an imposiblity to do so but were gonna keep hammering you guys anyway till we run you out of bussiness.(only me and one other harvester form this general area showed up) guess till the rest of them go threw what we have then they may care,but now no long have a say.

Now as a sport fisherman catching your own minnows ,good luck,you can catch but have to use them right were you got them,no transporting them,cause they are putting the ownce on the bait dealers.Now all bait sales now will require a bill of sale,for movement.which really screws the dealers ,harvester cause anyone can make up bill and say they purchased them at such and such place and come back on them.

This is just some of the basic info..

Last edited:
The MNRF's job is to protect our natural resources and tight restrictions on bait harvesters/dealers is a necessary step in attempting to prevent the spread of disease and invasive species. As for the zero by catch, other commercial harvests are for food and not for supplying anglers with live bait. You're comparing apples to oranges as one can spread disease and invasive species while the other does not.

I understand this may result in some people making less money or getting out of the business all together, but you need to look at the big picture here instead of having a hate on for the MNRF for doing what's best for our fishery.

Am I legal if I buy bait in Port Burwell then freeze what I don't use and then take the frozen minnows to Port Glasgow?

"Now as a sport fisherman catching your own minnows ,good luck,you can catch but have to use them right were you got them,no transporting them" That is no different than the rules now. I may catch my own minnows off the pier in Pt Bruce out of Lake Erie (zone 19) and I may use them there, but I may not transport them to use as live bait in any other zone, however if they are dead (ie salted minnows) I may use them elsewhere. IF I buy my minnows from say Angling Sports in London where I live, so long as I have a receipt to show that I bought them and where, as I understand it, I may use them where ever I choose unless it is strictly prohibited to use live bait where I have chosen to fish. That said if I'm coming to Pt Bruce to fish, WHY would I buy them in London when I can get them from NEM, Betty's, catch them myself, or if I had too, during those rare times when both of those more convenient locations are out, I could come see you at Rush Creek and pay more and get less per scoop. There is a reason people go to the other places, it's spoken of often on the pier. Stop hating on the ministry for doing their job that caused you personal inconvenience.

you totally miss understand,and we sell at same price and more then generase on count.so...what ever, i'm informing the public, and on this to benfit those who you have mention..bash some were esle buddy ,you could have want to meeting as well,second piont some of these places you mention at times we supply there minnows, and we don t hate mnr,we just want cooperation and understanding on there part as well

by the way my understanding is yes catch minnows off pier use them but you will not be driving away with them

Last edited:
Am I legal if I buy bait in Port Burwell then freeze what I don't use and then take the frozen minnows to Port Glasgow?
my understanding was yes ,but would require a bill of sale,now when it comes to live ones after 14 days bill of sale expires and you require new ones,good question thou weather that bill of sale is still good for them frozen ones? i will ask

"Now as a sport fisherman catching your own minnows ,good luck,you can catch but have to use them right were you got them,no transporting them" That is no different than the rules now. I may catch my own minnows off the pier in Pt Bruce out of Lake Erie (zone 19) and I may use them there, but I may not transport them to use as live bait in any other zone, however if they are dead (ie salted minnows) I may use them elsewhere. IF I buy my minnows from say Angling Sports in London where I live, so long as I have a receipt to show that I bought them and where, as I understand it, I may use them where ever I choose unless it is strictly prohibited to use live bait where I have chosen to fish. That said if I'm coming to Pt Bruce to fish, WHY would I buy them in London when I can get them from NEM, Betty's, catch them myself, or if I had too, during those rare times when both of those more convenient locations are out, I could come see you at Rush Creek and pay more and get less per scoop. There is a reason people go to the other places, it's spoken of often on the pier. Stop hating on the ministry for doing their job that caused you personal inconvenience.

you no what i quit ,get bashed for passing along info took my time to go and these are not my rules..f this

The MNRF's job is to protect our natural resources and tight restrictions on bait harvesters/dealers is a necessary step in attempting to prevent the spread of disease and invasive species. As for the zero by catch, other commercial harvests are for food and not for supplying anglers with live bait. You're comparing apples to oranges as one can spread disease and invasive species while the other does not.

I understand this may result in some people making less money or getting out of the business all together, but you need to look at the big picture here instead of having a hate on for the MNRF for doing what's best for our fishery.

i agree ,with what you say,i will note thou,i believe the number used by m.n.r was about 90% problem was by the moving of live bait by anglers

Last edited:
Rushcreek don't listen to the bashers .I understand what you are doing is trying to educate us.Thats all anyway Thanks for the info.I have bought bait at launch and never received a sales receipt. I would not want to deal with an overzealous superhero conservation officer over not having a receipt. Not saying they are all like that but who needs any crap when you're trying to enjoy yourself fishing.

if I understand what people are saying regarding catch your own, does this mean if I catch minnows off the pier (anywhere) I cant bring the remains home to make salties----if so what do you do with the leftovers, throw them in the garbage????

once someone catches or buys minnows and or fish and kept alive who knows where they might end up...

ya what to do with.. bubbles the pet goldfish....well i guess he made his way into lake erie...now there is a goldfish market...lol...michigan alone netted and sold over 88,000 pounds of erie goldfish at a $1 a pound last season..

I believe the MNR is doing the right thing banning the use of live bait to protect are fisheries.

Ohio erie perch fishers use small strips of raw shrimp to catch there yellow perch. No emerald shiners needed.

The government should be held accountable for compensation to licensed commercial bait harvesters and a buyout package would be offered and accepted...when the government takes away livelyhood... they owe...its the law...

Last edited:
"Now as a sport fisherman catching your own minnows ,good luck,you can catch but have to use them right were you got them,no transporting them" That is no different than the rules now. I may catch my own minnows off the pier in Pt Bruce out of Lake Erie (zone 19) and I may use them there, but I may not transport them to use as live bait in any other zone, however if they are dead (ie salted minnows) I may use them elsewhere.

I'm not saying it's right but there is currently no law against anglers moving live minnows around the province of Ontario. It is obviously not a good idea but it is not illegal. Harvesters cannot move minnows out of the effected zones and nobody can move crayfish overland but as stated on page 13 of the Regs:

"Anglers are asked not to move bait from the VHS Management Zone or Lake Simcoe Management Zone to areas outside the Zones."

This is one of the things they are attempting to fix but there is very little hope of enforcing it effectively.

Yeah it's too bad, if they wanted to stop the gobies from spreading they're a day late and a dollar short. It's a hopeless thing for you bait operators if they find someone has an illegal baitfish in their pail and a receipt from you, it's so lacking common sense to have a zero by catch policy, there's got to be a certain amount of error accounted for. I commented on the proposal, I think it's still open to comment til the 27th of June I believe

The government should be held accountable for compensation to licensed commercial bait harvesters and a buyout package would be offered and accepted...when the government takes away livelyhood... they owe...its the law...

I think the tobacco farmers may have something to say about the "buyout package" deal the government handed out to them....... not quite apples to apples for this conversation. But still relevant.

I agree that there needs to be accountability on the harvester, retailer & user of live bait. It's simple, find a goby in your pail kill it. Find a native sport fish fry, release it.

I've been buying bait for nearly 40 years and I counted my receipts and it came to ... oh, yeah, zero...;)

Now or soon the scoop of minnows will need a receipt as of where they were bought does this mean there will be provincial taxes applied now too.In other words 5 dollar a scoop plus tax.Just a thought.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks