Off Topic Universal free health care my Arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Well it has been over 6 weeks that mom is in University Hospital. As of January 26th we are being charged $66.00 per day for as long as she is in Hospital waiting on a LTC bed. That works out to $2,046.00 per month. Free health care my ass. The hospital is in charge of finding her a LTC bed but we have no control. Why would the hospital look real hard as they are making money by letting her stay where she is.

@scrimmy about 4 years ago we took charge on finding a LTC home for my mother and it is NOT cheap either…. Good luck on finding a home we were on the list for 8 months and yes it’s a pain you know where….

I wish my rent was only $2000
Why can’t you guys find her LTC home? Find one, take her out of the hospital and put her in the home no?

I thought to charge you there had to be an available slot but not necessarily the place you want or it could be hours away. Have they given you any options further away?

The hospital said they have to find her a LTC home. She has been on the list for over 3 years. Karen and I just left UH and they just sent her to Victoria hospital to a LTC home waiting bed at 3 pm today. Makes no sense to me as she was all ready in a LTC waiting bed and just confused mom more than ever as she has bad dementia as well as Macular degeneration. We still have to pay the $66 a day until they get her a LTC bed.

I wish my rent was only $2000
Why can’t you guys find her LTC home? Find one, take her out of the hospital and put her in the home no?
If you think it is that easy find me a LTC home within 20 miles of London and I will gladly take her there. As I said she has been on a waiting list for the last 3 years but now that she is in hospital they tell me she has moved up the list. Whatever that means.

I thought to charge you there had to be an available slot but not necessarily the place you want or it could be hours away. Have they given you any options further away?
No options what so ever. They said the Ford Government told the hospital to start charging people that are waiting for LTC. I do not think it is fair because we have no say on the matter and they move at a snails pace.

@scrimmy Wow the 3 year deal sounds like a lot of BS ON THEIR part. Man we were 8 months but 3 years is tons of BS. I do feel very sorry for you folks, hope things get better soon….

Been through it.... When you think about it, it is a good deal.....LTC will be considerably more money and the care considerably less..
LTC availability is scarce at best and only going to get worse as all of us aging Boomers get there..

I think all areas are overwhelmed with people waiting to get into LTC, My sisters and I are in the process of finding one for our mother in Oakville area, every home we visit the group size for a tour is quite large. All homes are full , with a waiting list as long as ....
Good Luck Scrimmy with your search , a spot will open up eventually hopefully soon .

Unfortunately if you have money that they can see they will take it. I hope all the best for you and your mom, it can be an incredibly frustrating time at a time when it shouldn’t be. Our seniors deserve a better fate and when I see regional and provincial tax money being abused on things other than long term care homes I want to snap. They sure didn’t wait to collect a life time of taxes from your mom but at her most vulnerable time she must wait. Be kind to your health care workers they are caught in the middle and are equally frustrated.

Your co-pay at a LTC will be $2900 a month for a private room. We’ve researched this extensively. When my father in law passed we had to find a place for my MIL as she has balance issues and can’t live alone. Fortunately she is of means. The total for a nice assisted living with no government co-pay is $6800 a month. The day will come when the level of support offered at an assisted living will not be sufficient and then it’s going to be a disaster to get something close…. I’m not looking forward to it. My neighbour was paying 7k a month for assisted living in a facility that could accommodate his mother with dementia until he was able to find an LTC. It took a couple of years. It’s very stressful but keep your chin up.

sadly , you may have to go further away. Sucks.
I hear you Outdoorman. Karen and I have been going up to see mom every day for the last 7 weeks. I am willing to go a bit further but not too far as Karen and I are usually the only 2 people she sees. We go up before lunch to help her with her food and to make sure they get her up in her chair. If they send her too far away I don't think she would last too long as she really looks forward to Karen and I coming every day.

Scrimmy, I feel for you. I’m disgusted that the Ontario govt is balancing the books on the backs of medicine and education. Why did it take so long for the Ontario govt to reach an agreement with the feds for 3 billion for health care? Our seniors suffer because of this. Yet they pay out more money for private facility nurses than they do in for the same hospital services. Focus is all wrong. I am frightened for what will happen to my wife and I if the provincial govt continues on this path.

Scrimmy, I feel for you. I’m disgusted that the Ontario govt is balancing the books on the backs of medicine and education. Why did it take so long for the Ontario govt to reach an agreement with the feds for 3 billion for health care? Our seniors suffer because of this. Yet they pay out more money for private facility nurses than they do in for the same hospital services. Focus is all wrong. I am frightened for what will happen to my wife and I if the provincial govt continues on this path.
I hear you Silvertip49. Up until 7 weeks ago mom lived by herself in her own home. Karen and I bought the place across the street from her so we would be close. The government paid for a PSW to come for 45 minutes in the morning to get her up and another to come at lunch for 45 minutes. Karen and I hired a PSW to come for 3.5 hours in the evening to make her supper and bath her etc. As we were very close we would go over every day to see how things were going and to keep her company. The afternoon PSW let mom fall 5 times on the weekend and I had to go over and pick her up. The PSW told me they are not allowed to stop her once she starts to fall. That is when mom ended up at the hospital. The doctors told us she is not allowed to go back home for safety reasons.

Just brutal scrimmy. You are a good man to look after your mom. Government promises are cheques printed with invisible ink. I detest the current state of our country.
I agree with you Dman. This country is not even recognizable compared to the country I grew up in and that's putting it mildly.

Hard to pin this on Ford whose conservative government has been suffocating in the debt left by 16 years of irresponsible liberal governments. When McGinty took over in 2003 the debt was $110 billion and today it stands at almost $400 billion. McGinty alone increased the debt by 134% then the lunacy continued on steroids under Wynn for another 5 1/2 years and now we have twice the debt of California. That now makes Ontario the most indebted sub-sovereign borrower on the planet and we are all paying dearly for it. I think you are putting the lion's share of the blame in the wrong place.

Scrimmy..I'm in Costa Rica until Thursday but when I get back I'm going to send you the name of a woman that is a placement navigator. She helped a friend of mine place her mother in law a few years back. Knows how the system works, can cut through some of the bs and get time lines of various facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks