Turkeys with a bow.

GPS

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
How many guys hunt turkeys with a bow or crossbow?

I use to use a crossbow on Sundays before we could gun hunt that day. I only shot one turkey with it and very, very nearly lost him. After I shot he flew off right out of sight. When I went to investigate I found the arrow completely covered in blood and feathers. I went and looked for him after waiting 45 minutes but could find no sign. I went back to my cottage and picked up my duck hunting Lab and took her after about a half hour of wandering around where I figure he went she found him under a blowdown. It kind of turned me off using a bow. The range is very similar to a shotgun which just gets the job done more efficiently.

It’s possible to shoot turkeys with a bow, takes a good blind and some patience to hold off for perfect shot. Took my little guy out opening morning and was lucky enough to drop one. Big mechanical wide cut broadhead where the wings attach to body and didn’t go 10yds. I have harvested a couple with crossbow but first with a compound. Bow hunting turkeys isn’t for everyone but if u have some luck and some practise time to toss arrows it’s just as effective and way more exhilarating. Good luck to all rest of season.

Attachments

• 19A78855-93E6-4391-8ED0-245AC7CDA5E5.jpeg
    19A78855-93E6-4391-8ED0-245AC7CDA5E5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
I killed a few with a compound (and missed lots!) but when I got a crossbow I stopped. More for the fact I could kill them at 30 or 40 yds, rather than 10 or 15 and if I can kill them that far out I thought I would just use my shotgun. I know I could just let them get closer but I've always been of the mindset to take the first good shot as it may be your only good shot. TC

I'm a first time young 65 year old turkey hunter. Decided to not to use Xbow. Was planning on hunting yesterday morning but woke up at the crack of 6:25. So today, Sunday morning I was wide awake, waiting for the alarm at 5:10. Drizzleing. Packed up and headed to the farm and sat in the truck until 5:45. Walked the 10 minute hike to the bush to my deer, now turkey blind. Drizzlerain. Occasionally I could hear what I thought was a turkey. I stare in the area that I thought a bird would appear until I feel that I'm being watched. Slllowly turn my head and there is a doe staring at me from no more than 50 feet. Heart pump, oops wrong species. Forty five minutes later (6:45 am) I faintly see movement in the cornfield 300 yards to my right. 3 hens working the corn. Do they ever take their time. Then a gobble. Tom in field where I first saw hens. 1/2 hour later hens passed by me at about 100 yards with slow moving tom following bush edge at 50 yards. Hens turn around and head back, tom moves a little close to me and turns to follow his girls (40) yards. I decide to send some #5 shot his way since he turned. Are you ready for this,, I MISSED. He took a short run and flew a few hundred yards to safety. I put my rain gear on and did a short stalk (just in case) and then headed back to my truck and then home by 8 am.
I'm hooked, I'm packed up and dried out and ready for tomorrow.

It’s possible to shoot turkeys with a bow, takes a good blind and some patience to hold off for perfect shot. Took my little guy out opening morning and was lucky enough to drop one. Big mechanical wide cut broadhead where the wings attach to body and didn’t go 10yds. I have harvested a couple with crossbow but first with a compound. Bow hunting turkeys isn’t for everyone but if u have some luck and some practise time to toss arrows it’s just as effective and way more exhilarating. Good luck to all rest of season.

Beauty bird man congrats!

Well I didn't use the bow but I got it done this morning at 7:30. In my best amateur rookie tones I was able to convince a mature tom in to me this morning. Came in behind my stand after an hour to investigate and his loud gobble scared the crap out of me. My stand is situated in a bulldoze pile in the corner of a bush so I was hidden by that and able to turn and wait for him to show himself. The rest is history.
Weighed 26 lbs, 10 1/4" beard, one spur is a little over an inch and second was 7/8"

Well I didn't use the bow but I got it done this morning at 7:30. In my best amateur rookie tones I was able to convince a mature tom in to me this morning. Came in behind my stand after an hour to investigate and his loud gobble scared the crap out of me. My stand is situated in a bulldoze pile in the corner of a bush so I was hidden by that and able to turn and wait for him to show himself. The rest is history.
Weighed 26 lbs, 10 1/4" beard, one spur is a little over an inch and second was 7/8"

Congrats Sir!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks