Turkey Season is fast approaching

SouthernOntariosportsman

Wondering what everyone who on the chase for these birds,, what are you seeing for birds,groups,flocks, and activity. Just want to check to see if the birds where i hunt differ from everyone else's.
I am after the elusive Bruce Lee tom, that has out danced me twice in last 2 years. and cost me 6 long beard xr's

Wondering what everyone who on the chase for these birds,, what are you seeing for birds,groups,flocks, and activity. Just want to check to see if the birds where i hunt differ from everyone else's.
I am after the elusive Bruce Lee tom, that has out danced me twice in last 2 years. and cost me 6 long beard xr's
Still seeing birds in large groups. But strutting And gobbling

Been a hunter all my life and last year was the first year I bought a turkey tag. (retired) Used my deer blind and went to the bush and made some turkey noises. 2nd trip out got lucky and bagged a 23 lb Tom with a 9" beard.
This year I will be hunting the same blind but the first week out I will be hunting with a camera. I'm not a hugger or an anti, just want to capture them with camera first.
Then I will attempt to fill my tag. Hopefully I can post some pictures.

Another year ... another chance ? Lmao ! I have a big guy that for three years has eluded me, hope he's still there ? I did spot a very large track recently so I'm hoping it 's him ! Mind you a Jake is younger and more tender......... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?

Been seeing the odd lone Tom but mostly still flocked up pretty good. Seen one flock of about 20 tonight then I go about 1 km down the road and spotted another one about 30

Checked my cameras on the weekend flocked up, and some strutters
Last couple weeks been seeing them more and more compared to the couple weeks before that.

Times off by about 45min

been having troubles getting the actual image on my phone so they are mostly photos of my laptop or screen shot photos

Attachments

• 8AAEC24F-D5C7-476C-B9C5-89066DB05220.png
    8AAEC24F-D5C7-476C-B9C5-89066DB05220.png
    646.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 8102B906-4E01-4390-B070-BF15867C3D58.jpeg
    8102B906-4E01-4390-B070-BF15867C3D58.jpeg
    463.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 9813EB2C-1A8F-4411-BEAC-E95E8382CA02.jpeg
    9813EB2C-1A8F-4411-BEAC-E95E8382CA02.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 36
  • E64E36F5-470B-4BE6-8E0F-269D54646BB5.jpeg
    E64E36F5-470B-4BE6-8E0F-269D54646BB5.jpeg
    620.2 KB · Views: 32
  • C8A0B45F-4C8E-4942-A85C-5FDC9ACE3839.jpeg
    C8A0B45F-4C8E-4942-A85C-5FDC9ACE3839.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 31
  • A67ACF0B-7199-47D3-9977-25D56E4710B0.jpeg
    A67ACF0B-7199-47D3-9977-25D56E4710B0.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 41
You had 6 misses on the same bird? Do tell.
Started 3 years ago, had been watching birds for solid month, while keeping my distance, never really been sighted by a bird. group of about 18 birds, and 3 toms. couple 4 jakes. ,, One tom "named Bruce" stood out amongst the rest for size and length of beard, plus he didn't take nicely of the jakes buggin him. Smart bird he is, never really went close to tree lines or field edges, and just hung out with hens just out of range for a good shot.
season starts, and i want to get this bird down. spent the whole opener waiting for my chance, birds fly right over me into the field in morning, gobble gobble and turkey things,,,landed about 57 yards out, and never came any closer, in fact he strutted away across the field, hens in pursuit. So dumb founded ,, i turn to my play book, and know they are going for a walk and will be back around 2;15 in the bottle neck in the field and bush, which was a daily observation, i went home , grabbed my ghillie suit and headed back with lunch and turkey chair. set up where they strut the afternoon away, which put me 11-16 yards from the "playground" Warm sun hits me nice and i take a nice nap, , , , all of a sound there is this loud gobble , the loudness seemed to put him at my feet kinda loud. as i try to open an eye i hear it again,,,, well what the .... , there he is all puffed out and the gun is next to my chair and not in my hands. i start seeing other hens and jakes coming out of the bush. waiting for the right moment to slowly reach for my turkey boom stick,, big ole Bruce slowly turns to the hens , showing himself as the dominate turkey and all proud and turkey things,,, i reach for my gun , grabbed it , checked safety, got it mounted, and at the same time i mounted it, "Bruce" turns around , looks right at me, as i am pulling the trigger, he puts his head at a 45 as the first shot blazed by him, now i have all the turkeys attention and some head for the hills, ,,Good old bruce decides to gobble again, as i am pulling again the trigger, at the same time he scoots a foot to left and there goes another shot blazing by him, for that split second i was "WTF" momenting as i try to take a for sure death shot at him, as i pull the trigger he dips his head to the ground, and the shot burns by where his head was... out of shells, and flabbergasted, i was like bruce you deserve to live type deal , since i couldn't do anything in the moment to help myself. off he went, not running, but a rapids walk, towards all the smart birds. Didn't see him the rest of season. shot his brother the next day. That day i called him Bruce.
Second year chasing the kung fu master, almost the same deal, roosted them at night , snuck in early am, , watched them fly down right over top again, they landed farther this time and just went across the field to their playground, eating along the way. so i did what i have seen earlier scouting them, ended up again in my ghillie suit, but this time their play area moved 50 yards to the south, i had a red green make shift blind, and my turkey chair, once again the sun killed me after lunch , and it was nappy times. Just like the previous year, GOBBLE GOBBLE and turkey things,,, Being as stunned as i was , stupidly go to grab gun and mount it with blurry eyes and hardly open, i identified the birds, and just let all the lead down range towards this "bruce" lee turkey, i remember seeing flapping wings and a road runner, and gone he was for the rest of season, i killed his other brother following weekend.
He deserves the kung fu masters degree, I have shot a lot of turkeys and hunted different styles for years in southern onterrible never have i had the experience of this on any other bird.
this year he is back and bigger. he is my only bird i will chase. but this year the boom stick will win..... Maybe....

I don't hunt turkeys anymore, but living in the rural I do step out on the deck most morning's and give a few calls. No reply's for the last couple weeks, but this morning was like a switch was turned on, gobbles like crazy.

They're starting to break up now. Went to the gun club this afternoon and saw a really nice gobbler crossing a large field on the way there and on the way back had 2 Jakes cross in front of me. TC

I have box calls and quite a few slate and mouth calls but I never thought to pack a snoring call ?
So all I need is a nice lunch , a comfortable chair and sunshine to bask in ? Will give it a try this year as texting on my cell phone while in the blind has had mediocre results.

I’ve definitely fallen asleep turkey hunting
Only once
Didn’t get much sleep and snuck into the bush well before sunrise...
and ended up sleeping threw the sunrise
Bahahaha
Turkey probably walked right up to me and pecked at my shotgun barrel

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks