Turkey Opener 2021

I have to work in the morning but my fiancé is going to go sit in my spot and shoot my big opener Tom 👍
Good luck out there tomorrow!

She didn’t get one this morning, she saw a Jake out of range, that was it for the action this morning.

9 Jakes at 15 yards and you didn't pull the trigger ? First you fill the freezer then you go for the trophy ! LoL !
For me the wind picked up and after a long cold sit in the damp I packed up at 1000hrs. Yes.... I know too early but my old bones were aching. Will dress warmer tomorrow. As I pick up my dekes I see a bird jump down by the lake and fly off the bluffs.... wtf ? Busted ! Hope he has a short memory.

I have not shot a Jake in years but looks like I am coming around to OCLP's point of view. I have not been seeing many turkey around here this year. I think it has to do with crop rotation and the area around my place is dominated by winter wheat this year. I don't find it holds birds as well as corn or beans which always leaves a lot of spillage for them to winter on. In any case I had decided opening morning I would take a Jake if one presented. I never heard a gobble or saw anything until 9:00am when three big jakes came running toward me as hard as they could go. They stopped at 15 yards and gobbled their heads off. I figured the Turkey Gods were sending me some message about human vanity so I shot one. 17 1/2 lbs. I have shot Toms which were lighter and he may not be one for the photo gallery I bet he will look good on the pellet grill.

I have not shot a Jake in years but looks like I am coming around to OCLP's point of view. I have not been seeing many turkey around here this year. I think it has to do with crop rotation and the area around my place is dominated by winter wheat this year. I don't find it holds birds as well as corn or beans which always leaves a lot of spillage for them to winter on. In any case I had decided opening morning I would take a Jake if one presented. I never heard a gobble or saw anything until 9:00am when three big jakes came running toward me as hard as they could go. They stopped at 15 yards and gobbled their heads off. I figured the Turkey Gods were sending me some message about human vanity so I shot one. 17 1/2 lbs. I have shot Toms which were lighter and he may not be one for the photo gallery I bet he will look good on the pellet grill.
Cant eat the beard or the Spurs
So as long as it’s a decent size Jake still get a decent meal out of him.
and yah 2 spring turkey tags!!

9 Jakes at 15 yards and you didn't pull the trigger ? First you fill the freezer then you go for the trophy ! LoL !
For me the wind picked up and after a long cold sit in the damp I packed up at 1000hrs. Yes.... I know too early but my old bones were aching. Will dress warmer tomorrow. As I pick up my dekes I see a bird jump down by the lake and fly off the bluffs.... wtf ? Busted ! Hope he has a short memory.
Lol, i'm after the beards and spurs from here on out, my first few years jakes were shot, and then got into chasing the big toms, I am after the bruce lee tom this year, one tag for me this year, too busy otherwise to chase 2, i just give the turkey to the land owner every year.
I did see a "thunder chicken" with a longer beard than the jakes, tall , skinny like a road runner and a good 6-7 inch beard, passed on him, just can't shoot the thunder chicken. Bruce lee will show up sooner or later.

Didn't see a thing today. Thank goodness I have until the end of May , I'm retired and my spots are a 5 minute ATV ride away so I can take my time and pick my days. Heck ... if I got both my tags filled too quickly I would have to go back to doing chores around the property. LoL ! Unfortunately my grandkids are too young to hunt yet but I look forward to that day.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks