Truck MTO gross vehicle weight

DSfishy

Just found out in order to tow my boat I have to up my gross vehicle weight on my truck ownership to 4500kg or about $150 extra per year. I’m relatively sure most don’t do this. However I’m likely going to do this because insurance is always looking for ways to decline a claim. Just to be clear this applies to trucks only. Cars, minivans, and smaller SUV’s are typically within the weight with a normal sticker. Can anyone comment on this? Do you guys pay the extra. Most of my friends that tow boats and RVs don’t.

I never thought of the weight issue, because I always thought it was under the rv class. So if that is correct, then anyone using a diesel pick up to tow a tandem axle trailer with a boat on it should have a yellow sticker safety on the boat trailer. What a can of worms.

This explains it well

Correct for over 4500kg however under 4500kg still requires you to abide to the gvr on your ownership. In my case right now it says 2300 empty vehicle weight and 3000 gvr which gives me only 700kg for boat, cargo and passengers. To increase my towing allowance BUT stay under the requirements for a cvor I increase my gvr to 4500kg.

If the rules haven’t changed, it’s been a few years since I actually looked at the regulations. Towed weight is only added to Vehicle GVW if towed weight exceeds 2800kg provided your boat,trailer,gear is under 2800kg you would be fine with your current weight.

Hey guys long time reader first time posting.Thanks for adding me to forum. Went through this with MTO for my business so thought id weigh in.Turlte is correct but the 2800kg is the weight exerted to the road so basically with your trailer hooked up to vehicle with only the trailer tires on the scale. If that is under 2800kg you do not need to add the trailer weight to your vehicle weight therefore can leave your vehicle registered at 4500kg. If the combined weight is over 4500kg you do need yellow sticker on both truck and trailer but you are not considered a commercial vehicle nor will you ever be if the vehicle is soley used for personal use without compensation and is not carrying commercial cargo tools or equipment. Also the CVOR does not apply to any personal vehicle only to vehicles that are registered to a corporation or business of any structure. Even if the vehicle is used for business,is 4500kg or less and your tailer road exertion weight is under 2800kg you still require yellow sticker for both but accroding to the Highway Traffic Act which trumps Ontario regulation you are not a commercial motor vehicle because your registered vehicle weight is under 4500kg which means no CVOR or pre trip inspection and no daily log as long as your travel radius is under 160km. The second your trailer exerts more than 2800kg that weight is added to your vehicle weight which means changing your vehicle ownership to correspond and now your are a commercial motor vehicle by defintion and need CVOR if not soley used for personal use. Hope this helps and is not to confusing. It made my head spin when i first read into

The yellow sticker for towing boats with a personal vehicle is just like the course for using a VHF radio on your personal boat...very few do it and I have yet to hear of anyone being punished for not following the rules. Feel free to donate money to the government, but I believe we have a better chance of winning the lotto than to be punished for not getting the sticker.

Fords new budget was released Thursday. The overall goal is to tax the blue collar worker as much as possible and ruin the education system. Section 42bs subsection 1023c mandates all government inspectors will now car pool. This will likely mean that they will drive to the boat ramp together and one will check vehicles and trailers and the other one catch limits etc.
?

Ch312 your probably right the odds are slim to none you will be stopped but i have heard of a few people who have been stopped and basically given an order to comply. But if you dont comply and get stopped again you will have multiple hundreds possibly thousands of dollars in fines depending on the state of your vehicle. In Hamilton they setup MTO check points fairly often and they not only target commercial vehicles but ones for personal use as well. Im with you dont donate any money if you dont have to but if you receive a warning it will be cheaper just to comply

I just thought I would update this post since they made some changes back in July that I had never heard about. I'm sure others were aware but I'm usually on top of this stuff and it slipped by me somehow. Basically if you are using your truck (<6500kg GVWR with original box) and trailer for non-commercial purposes, they are exempting you from the yellow stickers. I guess I don't have to worry about being non-compliant anymore...

Here is a snippet from the linked website:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/commercial-vehicle-safety-requirements.shtml#pickup

1577465584301.png

I just thought I would update this post since they made some changes back in July that I had never heard about. I'm sure others were aware but I'm usually on top of this stuff and it slipped by me somehow. Basically if you are using your truck (<6500kg GVWR with original box) and trailer for non-commercial purposes, they are exempting you from the yellow stickers. I guess I don't have to worry about being non-compliant anymore...

Here is a snippet from the linked website:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/commercial-vehicle-safety-requirements.shtml#pickup

View attachment 19754
Thanks for this post I new I read this in the summer!

Well now, this can become confusing rather quickly. CMAC offered complete mobile service where we would venture to the location of the customers unit where we would conduct our services which completely eliminated any interaction with the MTO with regards to transporting larger units on public roads. So, after reading these comments, I will concede I am not up to date with MTO requirements and I am now second guessing the legality of having my rigging on the road. It is a '12 F150 FX4 super crew, 6.5' box (long wheel base) 5L, pulling a 24' (6000 lb.) boat. The truck can tow 9500 lbs. Am I legal or have I just been lucky?

Attachments

• 59914600_311214626440026_3663295452071067648_o.jpg
    59914600_311214626440026_3663295452071067648_o.jpg
    884.7 KB · Views: 40
Well now, this can become confusing rather quickly. CMAC offered complete mobile service where we would venture to the location of the customers unit where we would conduct our services which completely eliminated any interaction with the MTO with regards to transporting larger units on public roads. So, after reading these comments, I will concede I am not up to date with MTO requirements and I am now second guessing the legality of having my rigging on the road. It is a '12 F150 FX4 super crew, 6.5' box (long wheel base) 5L, pulling a 24' (6000 lb.) boat. The truck can tow 9500 lbs. Am I legal or have I just been lucky?
The key to your question is personal use vs commercial. You are commercial so all the old rules still apply they way I understand it.

Thanks G,Mech. The truck is a personal unit and not registered to the company displaying no company logos or otherwise. Didn't want my personal unit subject to CVOR and it keeps my insurance comp...quiet.?
Thanks again for your clarification.

cmac as I read it if you use the truck for business purposes it doesn't matter if it's registered as a personal vehicle the exemption doesn't apply to you so you legally require the stickers.

Just found out in order to tow my boat I have to up my gross vehicle weight on my truck ownership to 4500kg or about $150 extra per year. I’m relatively sure most don’t do this. However I’m likely going to do this because insurance is always looking for ways to decline a claim. Just to be clear this applies to trucks only. Cars, minivans, and smaller SUV’s are typically within the weight with a normal sticker. Can anyone comment on this? Do you guys pay the extra. Most of my friends that tow boats and RVs don’t.
Thanks I will check that out 1577493892630.png1577493892630.png

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks