trout season

paddle maker

Can some one clarify is trout open all year in norfolk or only in big creek?

Plenty of browns and some bows are being caught from the south shore of Lake O if you can't wait for opener...

@paddlemaker. You need to go to the MNR site and download the PDF for the regs for any particular region. I know that when we chased spring trout and salmon on the tributaries of Lake Ontario and Erie years back it can get confusing to say the least. To be sure and not risk a big fine go to the regs, even then it can be confusing. If you don't know the names of the creeks and local roads it can be a guess sometimes, not good guessing.

Take Pickerel for example, things change from year to year such as Nippissing, slot limits etc. changes every year it seems in some regions.

Lower ends of Big, Black and Youngs are open all year. Check the regs to be sure of exactly where. Access on the other hand can get interesting though. Don't forget beach opportunities at the mouths of local tribs are open as well.

check out this link for detailed maps showing boundaries of great lakes at river mouths. regulations for the particular great lake applies to portion of river mouth upstream of lake outlined in detailed map i.e. bows open year round on l. erie. move cursor over map and click on + sign to enlarge. For L. Erie, reg's & exceptions to portions upstream of boundary are found in FMZ 16.

check out this link for detailed maps showing boundaries of great lakes at river mouths. regulations for the particular great lake applies to portion of river mouth upstream of lake outlined in detailed map i.e. bows open year round on l. erie. move cursor over map and click on + sign to enlarge. For L. Erie, reg's & exceptions to portions upstream of boundary are found in FMZ 16.
forgot the link: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/241483.html

Remember "green trout"don't open till the end of June.

Back