Trolling with DI and SS

LongLines

Hey Guys. Didn’t want to hijack Old Schools post so I’m posing my own question on Sonars.
Does anyone see the benefit of trolling Lake Erie or Lake O with Down Imaging or Side Scan or both. Or is it kind of a waste if all you really use is Sonar and Maps. Just curious because I’m also in the market for a new unit and really only troll for eyes and the odd time search around for some Perch.

Logically, in the context of walleye trolling on Lake Erie... The typical scenario is 2 rods are off downriggers and 2/4/6 more spread sideways, planers or dipsies. So, let's say your side scan shows you a fish 50-70ft to the right of the boat, then what? The planer or the dipsy would pass by that fish anyways, plus Lake Erie on sonar is like aquarium these days. I never use side scan or down imaging when trolling. Just don't see a reason for that.

I have a Lawrence unit with down image and side Scan. If I had to Purchase a new unit I would go with sonar and gps Combo with a bigger Screen then pay to have down image . I feel like 95% Of the time Im only using the gps and Sonar

Last edited:
I don’t have side scan but I can say I will flip to DI sometimes when then there is a bait ball or a lot of marks on bottom as It clears it up to look for individual fish around the bait ball or can see a school of perch. I agree with what others said, pay for bigger screen rather than DI or SI

I have down imaging and hardly use it at all for Lake Ontario or Erie. My friend has side imaging and can mark fish off to the sides where regular sonar would have missed. If I can do it again, I would have gone with GPS Sonar only and pay the extra money for the 9 inch instead of the 7 inch DI.

Lowrance elite 9 TI 2 with a transducer that gives u down imaging only is they way I went I do like the down imaging with fish reveal when looking for perch
F8CB6153-B8BE-471D-BF4D-9ED8956E0079.jpegD0B8EC03-2086-4D04-B69C-F6046404A804.jpeg

What’s the difference between Di and echo?

The difference is like an apple versus a tree root. They refer to two separate things. Your signal, whether in straight sonar or down imaging sonar , returns an echo to your transducer and your sonar unit displays what your signal "saw".

I have had the opportunity to fish in 6-8 different boats each year for the last 3 years .

The main benefit I've seen from side imaging is fishing lake Ontario .....the trick there is to find and try to stay with the bait. If you mark bait on down imaging ...once you stop marking them ...switch to side imaging to see which way bait ball went ...and try to follow them.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks