Trolling speed??

perch420

Looking for some advice. I have no prob at all getting down as low as 2.1 mph as long as there is a bit of chop. But it seems my boat wants to get to around 2.5-2.6 mph if the lake is calm. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Or am I worring too much?? I know that's a good speed for bows but I want to put them eye's in the boat! Thanks all

fine tune your motor with the proper RPM at idle/neutral. Then if that doesn't bump it down without stalling...drag a pail or 2 over the side of the boat. I have a couple pails when needed...I drilled a few 1/2 inch holes in the bottom of the pail to create a little less resistance making them troll straighter. I use the pail method to get down to 1.5 trolling worm harnesses for walleye on St. clair.

Thanks. That's a real good idea, and cheep as well. I happen to have a huge supply of pails!! Lol

Pulling a few 20 liter buckets with holes cut in them or proper drift socks will do the trick. As @mick also said it's best to fine tune that engine so it will get you to 1.5. If that doesn't;t work a good trolling plate will do the trick. A plate before socks because socks or pales being dragged behind the boat can make a mess of lines out and need to pulled every time a fish is on if you want to be sure you don't loose it at the boat. A kicker is best regardless of how well the main engine trolls. Also a great back up here or anywhere.

What size engine are you using?

70 hp jonson on a 17 ft aluminum so it shouldn't be a problem getting down I don't think. Tuning the motor very well could be my issue. I'm definitely going to look at that.

my boat has a 305 chevy and I have to drag two pails to get her slowed down lol ,,I tie them of the front cleats to keep them out of the way of the fish ,,it works ,,Dutch

we were dragging 7 pails on my buddys boat on sunday pre fishing for the Budweiser . keep chucking them over till yah get there . tat got us to 1.5

Can solve your problem get the HAPPY TROLL plate. The unit attaches to your lower unit. go to their web site, have used this on many of my boats. trust this helps you.

down hill I go 2.8 to 3 up hill I go 3 to 3.5 on erie or your just going to catch silvers and farm animals.

Back