trolling question...and probably a real dumb one

joel saccone

k, so im totally new at trolling...got lucky a couple times the first few times out...so now im kinda keen on learnin some of the details

i hear about you fine fishers talkin about your setups....and am a lil confused

when u guys say stuff like....10 colours....170 back....etc etc

do u mean that you let out all 10 colours and another 70 of your backer?

the fella with the fishin store in woodstock says guys are havin luck with 5 colours.....now does that mean that i have a reel with 5 colours....and let that sucker out with a bunch of backer...or, have a long leader....let that out with the 5 colours and stop at uni to uni knot....?

dont laugh now...

No expert but have seen a few things, say you using a number 11 huskey jerk and or large size tail dancer , these baits say on the box they will dive 20 or so feet, pulling it with lead will be perhaps half of this or slightly more. 8 to 6 colour on a reel will do the job with 20 feet of backing out of the reel, so 6 colour set up would have 30to50lead+6coulor(180feet)+20 feet backing for a total of 230to 250feet of line out, then an 8 colour set up 290 to 310 feet out.
Hope thats not confusing but an 8 colour set up would be the max needed fishing in the bruce and burwell area.\ this time of the season and less earlier in the season when there higher.
Lots of backing to fill the reel but only need to let out 20 or 30 feet of it beyond the core.

If you are just flat lining out the back of boat, you can get away with using a reel with full 10 colours and letting out the number of colours of feet based on depth marking fish and depth lure dives. If you are using planner boards ? its best to not have the lead core in the release (too thick, hard to pop) also if you use lead right from rod too planner board its heavier and creates drag. thats why guys have multiply reels with varing colours, and use which ever one matches the depth fish are being marked. (I have reels with 5, 6, 8, 10) I use the 5 colour mostly on northern lakes for lakers or summer walleye & pike just to get down deeper.
I usually let out 20-30' of backing after the leadcore reaches the water, but seems everyone has own preference.

Remember 10 yards per colour, so if you have a 25'-50 fluorcarbon leader, 10 colours, then 20'-75 ' backing you will have over 400+' of line out.

also the hooks wear a hole in fish's mouth when you have that much line out so make sure you don't give any slack. (allot of fish get lost just getting rod out of holder or right at boat while netting)

hope this helps

great question and great answers.....this whole trolling lingo is new to me as well. And beyond that, none of the tackle shops around Kitchener or even Bass pro seem to have some of the spoons everyone is talking about.

it's a humbling experience being on this forum, but any time on the water is better than a day at the office!!

Most of the lure manufacturers put the names on the spoon packages now so that does clear up confusion. The other fellow in Woodstock is a good guy and knows what he's talking about. You can always count on Monty and the guys at Angling Outfitters to know the hot ones for Erie.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks