Trolling plates

fish4fun

It was talked about briefly in the past post about kicker motors, but I'm concidering a trolling plate for my 2015 merc 150 four stroke. I would like to be able to go slower while trolling. I have humminbird I pilot which works well on calm days to slow trolling down to 1.5-1.8 mph , but in a current and high wind it struggles to do the job. Any thoughts from others? Btw a kicker is not in the budget! Thanks.

If you have a Merc, that troll control i mentioned in the other post goes for about $300.

Does anyone have experience with troll control? I watched the video you posted @Extra Virgin. It sounds good, but are they any risks to slowing down RPM's over along period of time? I try and troll about 3-6 hrs a week. Is that long term harmful to the motor? I'm asking because I am the farthest thing from a mechanic, I'd have no idea.

I was told by the Merc reps at the T.O boat show that it will not harm the engine. Same with the head tech at Maple City Marine. There is a limitation on how low you can set the rpm just for that reason. It also defaults back to normal rpm every time you put it in nutral, so the engine stabilizes whenever you get a fish on. I am also looking into an economical way to slow down without getting tangled in drift socks, so this looks like the way to go.

My boat trolls slower when I use. My I pilot with the 50 hp and it's auto pilot works at 1/2 speed in 3 footers. Set big motor straight ahead and Ipilot just fast enough to steer. Doesn't make sense but works well

It works ok for me in calm water, but if there is a chop or swell, it doesn't do the trick. I love it for steering though. It is always on for steering.

Both the Merc Smartcraft & the newer Mercmonitor have the 'Troll Control' feature. I have the Smartcraft on my old boat and just installed a Mercmonitor on the new 150 4 Stroke. They work great and give you control by 10 RPM increments but from my experience, they will not allow you to troll below the normal idle speed setting despite what the gauge may read. They both are fairly expensive too, the Mercmonitor kit is newer and has more features than the old Smartcraft but still costs around 600 bucks and the network cable is another 1oo or so. They do have a lot of other features which are very nice but slowing down the boat is not one of them.

EDIT: I see now that the SC1000 Tach's (that's the ones in @Extra Virgin's video link) also have the Troll Control function (forgot about that one) for a lot less money, likely in the $400 range with the cables and stuff...

Last edited:
Good to know @G.Mech. I would like to pick your brain about the troll control more.....would you be going to the Port Rowan tackle swap or London boat show?

Good to know @G.Mech. I would like to pick your brain about the troll control more.....would you be going to the Port Rowan tackle swap or London boat show?

Not too sure just yet...shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to answer your ??'s.

Does anyone have experience with troll control? I watched the video you posted @Extra Virgin. It sounds good, but are they any risks to slowing down RPM's over along period of time? I try and troll about 3-6 hrs a week. Is that long term harmful to the motor? I'm asking because I am the farthest thing from a mechanic, I'd have no idea.

This video may answer that question:

I have trolled hundreds of hours on my 115 Opti and it's never missed a beat, fouled a plug or anything like that. The 150 4 Stroke should be even better at it I would think. If the 150 won't go slow enough, I would look at either the plate or a pair of drift socks until you can pick up a kicker, the advantages were covered thoroughly in the other thread.

Last edited:
My Verado 225 normally idles at 650 rpm. When I activate the troll mode I am able to go as low as 550 rpm, which in calm conditions will take me from around 2.1 mph to 1.8 mph.
Another option would be to change props.

My Verado 225 normally idles at 650 rpm. When I activate the troll mode I am able to go as low as 550 rpm, which in calm conditions will take me from around 2.1 mph to 1.8 mph.
Another option would be to change props.

I stand corrected. It appears you can go below factory idle settings. Most of the Mercs idle at 625-650 RPM and the troll control will take it down to 550. I've never noticed it on the boat before so it must not make a lot of difference or I'm not very observant.

Changing props may help your low end trolling speed but you have to keep your top end performance in mind at the same time.

I have a 17' G3 Deep V Angler w/ 90hp 4 stroke Yamaha and with the Easy Troller plate the speed drops to 1.6 mph. Works great.

For all the money you're going to spend, why not buy a small kicker, then you have both, slow troll and a backup.
Just saying.

Thanks guys, a lot to think about. I think I'm leaning towards a trolling plate. I'll do some more thinking before the trolling season is here. First though, back to the Detroit River I'm hopefully 6 -7 weeks. I'm going to try that again this year.

I have trolled walleye and spring salmon for years on my 2003,90 hp four stroke merc using the Happy Troller plate with a 4 inch hole cut dead center of the exhaust.Lots of fishing buddies do the same.It's on an 18 foot starcraft.The hole seems to give better control in wind but don't take it over 800 rpm or you could bend it! KITCH

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks