Trolling motor batteries

will

I'm looking to replace my batteries for my Motor guide xI5 36 volt trolling motor .
Looking for suggestions on best brands

Great Northern Battery Systems in Hamilton. I'm with @Red Gator totally. GNBS has low, mid and high grade options and their prices are more than reasonable. The order their batteries by the skid load. They move a ton of batteries.

Hi Wave Runner. Thanks for posting that link/article. Would you know who sells Dakota Batteries around here in London area. I'm interested. Thanks.
The only place I know where to buy them here in Canada is from cabelas.ca. and they have a few on amazon.ca as well.

What is your budget? If you can swing it go with lithium. Also did you see the post Bandwagon made?
Walleyeman I bought my Dakota's last spring at Pro Battery in Fonthill.

I'm going with 31 series AGMs for repowering this spring for my 36v Ulterra. My local mechanic sells Magnacharge and rates them better than the Interstates he used to carry. I don't trust current lithium technology to not burn my boat down. AGMs don't lose power stored and aren't affected by the cold and handle deep discharging better than flooded lead acid.

I'm going with 31 series AGMs for repowering this spring for my 36v Ulterra. My local mechanic sells Magnacharge and rates them better than the Interstates he used to carry. I don't trust current lithium technology to not burn my boat down. AGMs don't lose power stored and aren't affected by the cold and handle deep discharging better than flooded lead acid.
Couldn't agree with you more quackers! That's all I have ever purchased. Love my AGM's and yes- I think it's a little early yet to be messing around with Lithium Batteries. Might take a couple more years of refinement and testing plus the more the manufactuers keep producing them and the prices should come down. Let's hope so!! To new in the game.

The only place I know where to buy them here in Canada is from cabelas.ca. and they have a few on amazon.ca as well.

Thanks W.R. I'm just looking and preparing myself for the next round of major purchases! I'm still a little bit leary on the topic of Lithium Batteries. The LAST thing I need is a fire started onboard! No thanks. Next year I will need to replace all 3 batteries.

Thanks W.R. I'm just looking and preparing myself for the next round of major purchases! I'm still a little bit leary on the topic of Lithium Batteries. The LAST thing I need is a fire started onboard! No thanks. Next year I will need to replace all 3 batteries.
I not that concerned about the fire aspect so much now with these newer LiFePO4 batteries unlike the lithium ion. Their price is just too high for my liking. Since I installed the Minn Kota alternator my two 31 series acid batteries for my Motor Guide trolling motor hardly even get discharged no matter how long I'm out. For my fishing I no longer see the need for the much-added expense of lithium in order to get more run time.

I not that concerned about the fire aspect so much now with these newer LiFePO4 batteries unlike the lithium ion. Their price is just too high for my liking. Since I installed the Minn Kota alternator my two 31 series acid batteries for my Motor Guide trolling motor hardly even get discharged no matter how long I'm out. For my fishing I no longer see the need for the much-added expense of lithium in order to get more run time.
I hear-yah about the price. Will see what happens with that. Right now- I'm stickin with AGM's.

We find interstate deep cycle batteries hold up well. We've ran a solar system off them for about 11 years. My 10 year old 31 can run the 70thrust trolling motor for 40+ hours on 1/3 throttle.

Couldn't agree with you more quackers! That's all I have ever purchased. Love my AGM's and yes- I think it's a little early yet to be messing around with Lithium Batteries. Might take a couple more years of refinement and testing plus the more the manufactuers keep producing them and the prices should come down. Let's hope so!! To new in the game.
Dakota Lithium was founded in 2008, Lithium Pros 2011, Battle Born Batteries opened for business in 2014, just to name a few. Lithium boat batteries are hardly new technology.

I think the fire concern is over rated. 15 years ago my oldest boy and I where running lithium RC batteries when they where “hazardous”. I even charged and ran badly puffed packs. I charged those ones outside, but never ran into a fire concern. Yes it can happen, does It happen often? Probably not. The major lithium battery makers have been at it a while. I’ll tell you though, I’ve been to at least a couple of house fires that where semi rural and burned to the ground as a result of lead acid battery charging in the garage that went wrong. Battery fires are not the exclusive domain of lithium!

I think the fire concern is over rated. 15 years ago my oldest boy and I where running lithium RC batteries when they where “hazardous”. I even charged and ran badly puffed packs. I charged those ones outside, but never ran into a fire concern. Yes it can happen, does It happen often? Probably not. The major lithium battery makers have been at it a while. I’ll tell you though, I’ve been to at least a couple of house fires that where semi rural and burned to the ground as a result of lead acid battery charging in the garage that went wrong. Battery fires are not the exclusive domain of lithium!
Thanks Porkpie. Thanks alot for posting this info. I am relieved! Great news and very informative.

I’ve had two different battery chargers overcharge my sla (I’m using Agm now) and I heard buzzing and seen smoke from one charger, thank God I seen it before it caught fire. I think the bms on lifepo4 is something most ppl forget about. That bms would have stopped the batteries from over charging, thus no smoke or near fire if I had been using them instead of sla when my charger kept charging. That to me is a safety feature worth having. I think some ppl are possibly thinking of Tesla’s catching fire?

I’ve had two different battery chargers overcharge my sla (I’m using Agm now) and I heard buzzing and seen smoke from one charger, thank God I seen it before it caught fire. I think the bms on lifepo4 is something most ppl forget about. That bms would have stopped the batteries from over charging, thus no smoke or near fire if I had been using them instead of sla when my charger kept charging. That to me is a safety feature worth having. I think some ppl are possibly thinking of Tesla’s catching fire?
Live2fish- Better to be safe than sorry! That's why I am sticking with AGM's. Lithium Batteries right now are to friging expensive for my liking! I can purchase 3-AGM's for almost the price of one Dakota Lithium Battery and like I said- I need 3! My pockets are not that deep my friend. Just saying.

Live2fish- Better to be safe than sorry! That's why I am sticking with AGM's. Lithium Batteries right now are to friging expensive for my liking! I can purchase 3-AGM's for almost the price of one Dakota Lithium Battery and like I said- I need 3! My pockets are not that deep my friend. Just saying.
It’s why I’m also sticking to AGM for now. Cross my fingers my new charger doesn’t do what previous ones did.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks