trolling for pre spawn steelies.

Hey all.
I was wondering if any one has tried trolling for pre spawn fish off Burwell. I know lake O is a traffic jam this time of year around any trout or salmon trib. I figured that big otter being a spawning river should have some fish moving in within the next little bit. Any tips on depths, dates, lures, and time of day would be very helpful. I will be running lead and dipsys.

I dunno about the Lake O traffic jams at this time of year. We went out of the west end of the lake twice last week and both times we were the only boat trailer parked in the marina we went to. Saw a total of 10-12 boats one morning on the water and 2 the next trip.

After the salmon derby is over it's very quiet out there...

Not all of them do. Landed a hen on Halloween spitting egs, and quite often see fish on the beds even in December if water temps go up from the previous week.

I landed a couple small bows about 16-18" last week in an erie trib that were bright silver. Would these be resident fish or lake fish that are following the salmon?

It's my first year with a boat so I've been asking silly questions to everyone I come across with a bit of knowledge. I guess the question I really wanted to ask is where I can get some early fall trolling action. I am located in London and am toying with either lake Ontario for trout or lake saint Clair for walleye, bass and musky. What is most likely to yield results?

Hey there @captain bunny, welcome. We went out of Hamilton at the lift bridge last Tuesday and the previous Friday as well I think it was and saw only 4 other boats. Weekends would be different that's for sure. You are fairly centrally located being in London. If I had the choice I certainly would hit Lake St. Claire. A great fishery I never get to anymore. A for sure mixed bag and the Walleye are always my first choice. A nice Musky would be a bonus. Search the recent threads here and you will find the folks are hitting, and missing fish at all the locations you mention.

I was also told Rainbow don't spawn in the fall, but my question would be is why do they head to spawning waters in the fall, practice?

Thanks. You made up my mind. From what I gather if I drag worm harnesses through the shipping channel something will grab it. In theory saint Clair should be calmer if its a little gusty. I won't be going out until mid next week but I'll be sure to post the results.

I got the impression that by Thursday next week the fish out of Bruce may be gone. That is where I was fishing this summer with some success. If someone boats some fish next weekend I will probably try Bruce again.

I landed a couple small bows about 16-18" last week in an erie trib that were bright silver. Would these be resident fish or lake fish that are following the salmon?

Fresh chrome jacks!

It's my first year with a boat so I've been asking silly questions to everyone I come across with a bit of knowledge. I guess the question I really wanted to ask is where I can get some early fall trolling action. I am located in London and am toying with either lake Ontario for trout or lake saint Clair for walleye, bass and musky. What is most likely to yield results?

Last Monday near Bronte on Lake Ontario I boated 14 out of 25 fish hooked in less than 5 hours with the majority being bows and small kings. At this time of year you can also target the staging kings in shallow water. I'll be out again this week and will post a report...

Hey there @captain bunny, welcome. We went out of Hamilton at the lift bridge last Tuesday

Pssssst...there's two well maintained FREE launches in the harbor which add only a few minutes to your trip and are less busy than fisherman's pier ;)

Lasalle park. Take the Waterdown Rd exit off the 403 and head south straight into the marina.
Pier 4 Park. It's off Bay St N so you'd take Main St from the 403 or Burlington St E if you're coming off the QEW.

Looks like 7-8 knot winds from the SW tomorrow so I may just have to head out there again. One of these days i'll have to get my mind out of "fishing mode" and back into "work mode". :D

Thanks 312, know both areas. Actually lived down on Bay St N. More than a few years ago. Still have friends there. And if you guys are ever down there and want a good meal stop by The 2 Cougars Café on Burlington St. in the small plaza on the north side of the street east of Wentworth St. Open early for breakfast before you hit the water. Closed by 3PM.

Back