Trolling beginner needing Dipsy rod opinion

Lunkerhunter

I have just outfitted myself with all the basics for trolling for eyes on eerie (wow that was an expensive purchase!) and I have acquired 2 leadcore setups which are 8’6” medium action Rapala Fathoms both with 7 colour leadcore and 2 Okuma 7’6” medium Action GLT lake trolling rods with braid for Dipsy’s. My question is - should I return my Dipsy rods for some heavy Action 10’6” rods as I was planning to have my dipsys run out farther alongside the boat and my lead core somewhat closer to the boat and straight back ? Also I am unsure if the medium action okuma would be too soft for the dipsys as the rod is rated for up to 2 1/2 ounces ?

Thanks for any input

Tight lines,
Lunkerhunter

I like 9.5 foot dipsey rods. It seems to be the right length for running longer leaders and not having trouble landing fish. They also do double duty for salmon fishing. 10.5 would work too, but the smaller the boat you have the more difficulty you can have landing them. Most walleye can be hand bombed into the boat though if needed. I prefer to run lead off planer boards, and get them away from the riggers and dipsys. If your looking to spend more money, offshore boards can pull 7 colour lead no problem. The way I set up my boat, 7.5 foot dipsy rods wouldn't work out. YMMV

I run small dipsys on 7 foot rods in my front rod holders then leadcore in the back rod holders then 2 rods or 4 in my riggers no issues with tangles unless someone cuts you off. I use 8.5 rods for the bigger dipsys. If your poles or leads are too long you'll have issues with netting for sure.

It always comes down to a matter of preference what works for each individual but this year I changed from 8 1/2 ft. med. action rods to 10 1/2 ft. Rapala Magnum heavy action Dipsy rods. I have eliminated all issues I had with tangles in sharp turns as some guys just can't steer when I'm setting lines... LOL! They gave me more separation, far less bend in the rod as well as easier to trip when I wanted them to in order to change lures etc. I thought I might have a problem netting with the longer rods but no problem as I have a net that extends to 9 ft. if needed. Another unexpected bonus I discovered is I just put them in the rod holder with the reel clicker on and they feed out line smoothly with no thumbing of the spool needed without the dipsy tripping or tangling at all. I can get the line out 3 times faster than the other rods I used before and have not had a single issue this year. Makes running my Dipsies a joy instead of a headache. :happy:

Those short lake trolling rods aren't beefy enough to pull Sz 1 pucks. I'd suggest stepping up to the Dipsy Rod line in that Okuma series. You risk breaking your gear at higher speeds and in wavy conditions, especially if you get some Steelies going.

+1 on the longer dipsey rods. I run Okuma Blue Diamonds and really like them. They handle Size 1 dipsey's and Lake O salmon without issue. I've been converting all of my old Eagle Claw star fires to them over the last year. Plus they match the boat LOL

Speaking of dipsy rods, do you guys prefer wire or heavy braid? Currently looking at rigging up, this thread has been useful so far...

On Lake Ontario with the fleas I can see using wire but here on Erie I prefer the braid for Dipsies. Probably more than you may need but I got such a great buy on 50 Lb. Power Pro on States side which works great for me running #1 Dipsies. My Hydros LC 30 series holds 300 yds. no problem.

I like braid as well on erie, and I run softer action rods and smaller reels with mini dipsys, size 0's and jet 20/30's if possible. I have a 9.5 foot braid rig on a heavy rod for size 1 dipsys. I have a couple of wire outfits but I save them for lake Ontario.

Speaking of dipsy rods, do you guys prefer wire or heavy braid? Currently looking at rigging up, this thread has been useful so far...
We run 110lb braid for muskies in the fall so we just switch over our Muskie rods to dipsys.

I fish both Erie and lake O pretty equally....and for the most part I use same rods and reels for both....some day I will have enough rods and reels for separate lake setups.

Fleas were horrible on lake O this year....
Needed 40 lb big game mono for riggers and 50 lb braid in order to cut down on # of fleas attaching to line.

I used to have a setup with oldtimer steel line ...but sold it . Too many kinks...couldnt break rod down....

Havnt tried copper wire yet....dont think it's needed for just Erie....but could be good for lake O ....like others said.

I have both 9 and 9'6 okuma dipsy rods....love them both but prefer the longer rod.....unfortunately I broke one last week on Erie....it may have been damaged in transport ....as I've caught 20 lb + salmon on it so I know a 3 lb eye wasn't the cause. And dipsy wasn't set very tight.

It will come down to personal preference....boat setup....bimini top ? etc...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks