Tricks for getting atv's unstuck on the ice

Puddle Jumper

Just curious of "what tricks" people use to get there ATV's unstuck in slush or deep snow out on the lakes with out any winching points. ????

In the past i have drilled hole with auger and inserted a 2x4 in the water across bottom of the hole and used a small rope from 2x4 to the winch cable....it works but very tricky getting 2x4 down the hole and even harder to get it out again, especially as ice gets thicker !!!!

I am wondering if a hook used for carring haybales would work just hooking it on edge of auger hole ???
would be easier and would only have to drill holes 6-8 instead of all the way thru ice, and wouldn't get wet hands or arms messing with 2x4 method. or should i make some sort of "land anchor" modified to hook into auger holes ???

Curious too know what others use !!

Land Anchor sounds like the best bet. I also think you have been watching too much Discovery Channel :), thanks for the advise on the use of the 2x4 thing ,but really sounds like a PITA . Outcast

i have a piece on 1x1 tubing with a muffler clamp about 3/8' mounted in the middle to hook my winch cable on. i then added a lite piece of rope 10 feet long to one end . drill a hole and drop the pipe threw holding on the end of the rope to pull it back out of the hole when you get winched out. only weighs a pound and fits in the front box on the bike

Hey @Puddle Jumper I use a 1 1/2" diameter steel rod by 4' long, with an Eye bolt threaded into the middle of the rod. If I find myself stuck in slush or in a pressure crack on the lake I simply drill a hole with my ice auger, at a safe distance away, clip my winch cable to the eye bolt. Then drop the rod down the hole vertically. Once you start winching the rod goes horizontal and pulls against the ice and voila your quad is free and clear! Now getting the rod back up the hole is a little harder but at least your ATV isn't stuck anymore.

Hey @Puddle Jumper I use a 1 1/2" diameter steel rod by 4' long, with an Eye bolt threaded into the middle of the rod. If I find myself stuck in slush or in a pressure crack on the lake I simply drill a hole with my ice auger, at a safe distance away, clip my winch cable to the eye bolt. Then drop the rod down the hole vertically. Once you start winching the rod goes horizontal and pulls against the ice and voila your quad is free and clear! Now getting the rod back up the hole is a little harder but at least your ATV isn't stuck anymore.
thanks for the tip ...its very similar to using a 2x4 but without the buoyency so should be easier to get into the hole. and if use Muddpuppy's advice and attach a rope on one end for lifting back up the hole should work fine

im imagining building something that looks similar to a barrel lifter...... 2 pieces of metal pipe or flat bar fastened together with a bolt at end for folding up....eyelete on one for fastening winch too it and put a tooth on other for digging into side of the auger hole.....so it would be L shaped and you pull against side of ice instead of bottom........above methods work....but think this would be easier if it works

A nice shovel works for me every time in slush. But what do I know i'm just a woman.
sure shovel can work.......i tend too do some extreme riding and allot of solo riding, so i just like to be prepared for anything.....and i hate the idea of having to walk home.

A nice shovel works for me every time in slush. But what do I know i'm just a woman.

On the internet, you can be anything you want to be... even a ....gasp.... woman. :cautious::happy:
The methods described here are all quite clever, but require taking along an auger. Who takes an auger ice fishing!?? You're trying to catch ice, NOT swiss cheese.

All pretty ingenious ideas. Actually @puddlejumper you asked the question and I like your idea best in combination with @Ihuntcanada's idea. Being able to fold the object it takes up less room on your rig. If you use light wt. pipe with holes drilled through, you can bolt 2 pieces together at the centre and use the same eye bolt to tie the rope to and connect the 2 pieces. The sheer wt. of the pipe should make it easy to pull straight up and out when done if you connect a short tag line on one end. By pulling on the end rather than the middle the pipe will come straight up. Same thing if you use a 2X4, nail a tag line on one end, tie that tag line to the centre rope. Pull on the tag line and the end will come straight out. @stomp, CAD drawing please. I wonder if there is a polymer pipe out there made strong enough. Now we are talking ounces not pounds.

On the internet, you can be anything you want to be... even a ....gasp.... woman. :cautious::happy:
The methods described here are all quite clever, but require taking along an auger. Who takes an auger ice fishing!?? You're trying to catch ice, NOT swiss cheese.

Heck even a fisherman.

Google is your friend....

Ice Angel anchors are said to be perfect for winching out an ATV. If not, building a heavy duty one would be easy.

I use an ice climbing screw. They are used by rock climbers when climbing frozen waterfalls or glaciers and the like. They are meant to take the shock of a falling climber so plenty strong enough for winching a stuck quad. They are made by many companies and come in different lengths from 5" to 8". They cost about $40-50 for a basic screw at Mountain Equipment Co-Op. They are small (easily fit in my front box) and are super light (weigh 6oz for the larger size).

490113_16_19_22_turboicescrews_web.jpg

On a side note ....this is where you will see a difference in the machines with a locking diff and v twin power and 12 in of clearence.

Can am 1000 ...3 inch lift...running 29 in tires ..80 hp...she don't get stuck...she breaks axles!!!

Still easier with a sled!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks