Treble to single hook?

saltybigstick

I release bass over 3 lb not good eating
has any one switched there treble hooks to single on rapellas, shad rap ,husky jerk ect I fish a ton of body baits for bass I have changed to singles on spoons for trolling if you have changed them on body baits has it affected the catch to long line release ratio ??

You will lose some hookup ratio, but if C&R is you primary goal, it would be the way to go. To be honest, I use trebles all of the time, and don't have issues. But I can see where smaller, slimmer baits like a Rapala would be an issue. Most jerkbaits I throw are 5inches or larger. Crankbaits are bulkier and often they swipe instead of bite and get it on the outside of the mouth. Guys do it, and many areas out west don't allow trebles.
The front single would be mounted to point towards the front of the bait, the back would point up. They sell singles with the eye turned 90 degrees to achieve the ideal orientation. All you could do is try.

Lots of studies seem to indicate that single hooks result in a higher mortality rate than trebles. The explanation they suggest is that the trebles seem to hook around the lips and mouth more while the singles are taken deeper in the gills and such where they do more damage. It wasn't my study and I have never tried singles but that's what has been published in a few studies I have read.

G. Mech, could you link where you read that? It's an interesting thought, I wonder though if it's from a single hook stand point, which makes total sense to me, hence the push for circle vs. J hooks. I tell you one thing, when those wild little pike grab my jerkbait and death roll over and over again, I wish I only had to remove singles. Try it out Salty and let us know!
Also, Salty, upsizing your hooks would increase catch rates over smaller trebles, and make it harder to get in deep and cause damage. It might be the perfect solution, catch more and release more...
Mortality, even for total C&R guys like me is just a reality, whether you keep an obviously dying fish or release one that looks healthy and dies later. Just a part of the game unfortunately. Tongue hooked fish especially, there is a major nerve through there, that can be damaged without much sign of impending mortality.

There are a whole bunch of studies that supposedly support this theory, here is one report that references some of the studies. I think hook size, type of lure and fish species all have a big role in this and am not necessarily convinced that a single hook is always worse than a treble but the reports kind of make sense I guess. I can't find the exact one I was reading when I was out in BC but they all kind of say the same thing:

http://www.seagrant.sunysb.edu/arti...lers-releasing-fish-hooking-mortality-in-fish

I'm thinking of trying some large circle hooks to see what happens the deeper hooking could be because the second treble not there to hang it up and stop it going deeper all the fish we caught in past 2 days where hooked in the lips not deep at all so
I will swap some out next trip out and let you all know if they are hooked deeper

I put a single hook on the back of my large rapalas and wally divers so I can add a worm on it without having the body baits spin and tangle up.
Don

Circles only work in single hook, live bait scenarios, you definitely would not want to use one on a lure...

I switched back from singles. My subjective results agreed with the deeper hook set.

Ok maybe not a good idea because I throw back the larger fish and keep the smaller ones
with the larger fish larger mouths resulting in them posabley being hooked in gills and throat I will not be switching them thanks guys

I know a Musky guy that cuts 1 hook off the treble, it doesn't cut up the soft plastic on the underside of the bait or scratch a hard body thus dulling the hook. That is a tad anal to me but who knows, he catches many Musky. Can't blame the guy for maximizing the life of his bait at 20 bucks a pop or more. Our hard baits are tuned to perfection using the hooks provided. I don't know how changing the hook will effect the hardware. Do we know something that many millions of dollars of their R&D across the industry doesn't?

I know a Musky guy that cuts 1 hook off the treble, it doesn't cut up the soft plastic on the underside of the bait or scratch a hard body thus dulling the hook. That is a tad anal to me but who knows, he catches many Musky. Can't blame the guy for maximizing the life of his bait at 20 bucks a pop or more. Our hard baits are tuned to perfection using the hooks provided. I don't know how changing the hook will effect the hardware. Do we know something that many millions of dollars of their R&D across the industry doesn't?
That is a good point as well. On some baits, with very slight actions, like a rapala original floater, you can really hurt the action by weighing it down with bigger hooks. The sink/suspend/float rate of a bait, like a suspending jerbait can also be impacted. The fun comes when you realize that your perfectly suspending jerkbait sinks in cold water and floats in warm water :/ Some baits are extensively researched as you said, but some need to be tuned out of the box, and can really be improved with alterations. Most stuff is mass produced to a price point these days, and often it's the hardware that they cheap out on because the shiny paint jobs are what 'catch' the average fisherman.
On big fat cranks, the action isn't easy to impact, so upsizing to big hooks is advantageous. Mustad KVD short shanks are great for upsizing the bite of the hook without adding weight, as the shank is shorter. The added bonus is hooks that are less likely to tangle together on shorter baits. They also make hooks in 1X, 2X, and 3X wire gauges, so you can add or remove weight while maintaining the original size, or change the size while attempting to keep the weight as close to original as possible. Want to really dial in a finicky lure? Split ring changes can often be enough to influence buoyancy and action. Want it to sit nose up/nose down? Heavier hook at the back or front. On a three hook bait, going lighter in the middle and heavier on both ends = more subtle action. The opposite will open up the wobble and dart. The possibilities are endless. Ever wonder why that one lure just seems to have 'it' when identical ones out of the box don't? Look at the hook and ring sizes, sometimes they are different out of the factory, especially on cheaper lures.
Back to trebles as difficulty with fish once landed, a good treble that will stick and hold allows you to play out a fish a little more without having to rush it in still green, especially those big smallies. Also, I love modern fiberglass rods for treble hooked baits, I haven't lost 1/10th the amount of fish I did when I used to crank with graphite...
Rubber basket nets are awesome. Rubber coated mesh, not as much. Original mesh nets are the devils work. Stay away LOL>

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks