Treating Emerald Shiners?

JohnPK

I have tried a few things regarding treating Emerald Shiners for perch fishing in summer when it's tough to get live ones. Salting then freezing makes a huge mess in my boat when I use them and we all know salt everywhere in a boat isn't a good thing. Online I read about some using borax with brine...trying that with some now and I purchased some green Fire Brine....last time I used it, the minnows almost disintegrated when thawed out. Anyone have suggestions would be appreciated. Of course I freeze them after treated.

Late reply, but thanks Woodsman. I tried some Fire Brine again with some, works great, and also did some up with pickling salt as before. Won't be long till time for some perchin fun !

I like this idea. I'll give it a try this season. Makes sense to me. I've used the fire brine and colour brines for steelhead and salmon. Half the minnows die before they get to the hook anyway.

I've been using the Michigan Angler recipe for 5 years now with a few modifications and have great usable minnows. I use 2 gallons of brine water from my water softener
or mix enough salt in 2 gals of hot water ahead of time. It needs to be super saturated with salt. Take this brine with you when you go to get minnows, either buying a few scoops or dipping your
own. ( remember the limits apply to salties the same as live) I put the live minnows into this solution. It seals the scales and makes a much better minnow. Leave them in pail until you get home. Do not rinse. Strain and dry off on newspaper and paper towels. Mix them with pickling salt ( a cup ) and put in some sort of container that will elevate them and not let them lie in the slime they will create. Put in your garage beer fridge over nite. Using cheese cloth or an old pair of pantie hose strain the original brine solution into another pail and keep. Discard or rinse the nasty panty hose. In the morning place salty minnows back into brine pail to rinse remaining course salt off. Scoop out ($ store scoop) finished shiny minnows and dry on paper an gently pat dry with paper towel. DO NOT rinse with water. Let air dry for awhile. Place all minnows wrapped in paper towel into a good freezer bag and throw in freezer. I transfer however many I need into another bag and keep frozen in boat only taking out what I need.

This works for me.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks