Transom Saver

Hey All,

Looking to get a transom saver before the year gets going full throttle. Does anyone have some suggestions on which brand to buy? I have been leaning towards the Swivel Eze but wanted to run it by everyone on here for suggestions as well. Thanks in advance.

Save your money....a piece of 1x1" square tubing for the bar, 1" flat bar bent in a "u" for the motor cradle and some old hose wrapped around the motor cradle will do the trick! If you can't weld just go to a local fabrication shop and you save tons of $$$. Doesn't have to be fancy just has to work. Also I'm a huge beliver that these will save your transom from huge damage and yes they really do work....just saying because there will be arguments about this topic hahah

Iv used one on every boat I owned and can say YES it does save your transom as your motor is not bouncing around and putting stress on the transom as you travel down the road. Mine is made out of 1x1 steel tube with a round attached to the bottom so it attaches to the bottom of the roller on the trailer and the top is flat bar U shaped to cradle the motor and budgiee strapped around the motor to keep it tight when traveling

I may have a bent one in my shop you are welcome to have. You will need to replace a bit of square alum tubing, but I think the parts are all there.

A wonderful gesture Albert. I believe a transom saver is a must. There is always the naysayers. It really depends on whether the outboard needs to be tilted up to travel. On a smaller OB it is not required if you can travel with the OB down. It can't hurt though. On any OB that needs to be tilted up it's a no brainer. Some will say you will hammer waves and the transom takes a beating, maybe so. I have hit unexpected pot holes and railway tracks etc. harder then any wave you will hit.

You must ensure that the boat is tight to the trailer mast at all times. If it can slide forward you will snap the transom. Check that before you travel. It is cheap insurance.

The last one I made was out of 1 1/2" exhaust pipe. The saver needed about a 30 degree bend in it to clear the keel. Made a pattern with a coat hanger and went to the locale exhaust shop and had then put the bend in the pipe. Strong and light weight.

Boat%20005%20-%20Copy_zpsaaj1n0dj.jpg

Dan.

Last edited:
Dand - nice idea, hope you don't mind me borrowing that for my next boat. What are you using to attach to the trailer?

Sure go for it; I sure as heck haven't put a patent on it. LOL
At the trailer end, I used a length of 1/2" threaded rod. Drilled a hole through the rear cross-member and then double nutted the rod too it. Once tight put a slight bend in the rod to match the angle of the pipe.

Dan.

This is the one I use and can't even tell what brand it is but they all work so it's just a matter of preference. I agree with @WhatsthePoint, if you trail your boat at all I would not be without one whether you buy it or fabricate yourself. Just grab your bottom end and push down to see how much torque you can put on your transom to see why it's a must when towing a motor that weighs between 340 and 480 lbs. I trail all over the province and believe me they don't fall off so no need to worry about that. :)

IMG_0996.JPG

The last one I made was out of 1 1/2" exhaust pipe. The saver needed about a 30 degree bend in it to clear the keel. Made a pattern with a coat hanger and went to the locale exhaust shop and had then put the bend in the pipe. Strong and light weight.

Boat%20005%20-%20Copy_zpsaaj1n0dj.jpg

Dan.

That's just smart!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks