Transom Replacement

DaveJ

I have a 2004 18' Lund Alaskan that unfortunately has to have the transom core replaced.
I can do it myself, but want to check out costs of having the work done.
Any suggestions, esp anyone outside of a shop that does this. Its about 98% labour, and at shop rates of $75-$100/hr, that 30 hrs gets pricey.

Hey Dave, what causes you to think the transom is soft? I have a lund fisherman 1800 and the dealer last year also told me that I should be looking to replace the transom, if I jump on the motor however there is no flex what so ever in the transom?

I would also be interested in the groups feedback, I have a few names of some shops but havent been in contact with them yet.

I had my 1987 Thundercraft Magnum 190 repaired by Ron Bankes Marine in Pt. Rowan in the Fall. Yes you are right on the rates but you get what you pay for and they do awesome work. Would highly recommend them.

Yep I've heard Ron is excellent--and I have spoken with him. Just trying to reduce costs. Like I said, I'm able to do the work myself--I have a full shop and have done this kind of stuff before, but its so time consuming if there are others that can....you know...

I knew the core was getting soft when I put a kicker on it last year and could see it compressing a bit. I checked it last week with a coat hanger wire and sure enough..punky in spots. The outboard may not flex due to the bracing, but the core can still require replacement.

Have you looked into Lund's warranty ,Not sure if it will cover .Are you the original owner?

I have a 2014 lund and my understanding I have a 10 year pro-rated warranty on the hull.
Pete Freeman at Marina Shores does hull repairs on the side. He fixed my transom on my old Misty River a few years ago at a reasonable price. Marina Shores Long Point 519 586 2791.

Check out a product called seacast. I've never used the product myself but have talked to a few who have and swear by it.

Have you looked into Lund's warranty ,Not sure if it will cover .Are you the original owner?

I'm the 2nd owner. Lund prorates some of the hull for 10 years, so thats long gone. Apparently the life coverage on transoms didnt start until after 2006 when Brunswick Marine bought out Lund. Same with floors...I tried that last year when I replaced some of my flooring and no go. One of the probs is Lund used CRAP wood in floors and transom, and didnt seal anything very well. Its not difficult to do, just time consuming.
I'll check with Pete--thanks!!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks