TRANSDUCER MOUNTING LOCATION HELP

jeffro9

I am in the process of setting up a "new" to me boat. Going to be installing a Helix 7 2D sonar unit and am looking for some advice on transducer placement location.
As you can see in the attached picture the previous owner had the skimmer mounted on the starboard side out towards the edge. From what i have read most manufactures recommend mounting on the starboard side due to the rotation direction of the prop but My kicker will be also mounted on that side. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• BOAT REAR.jpg
    BOAT REAR.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 81
With you planning on running a kicker motor I'd be putting the transducer on the other side of the boat and I am almost thinking kind a in the middle where middle of the ladder would be, just my two cents.

With you planning on running a kicker motor I'd be putting the transducer on the other side of the boat and I am almost thinking kind a in the middle where middle of the ladder would be, just my two cents.
I was wondering that but every transducer installation guide I read recommends mounting it to the right side of a clockwise spinning propeller??

I was wondering that but every transducer installation guide I read recommends mounting it to the right side of a clockwise spinning propeller??

I think it's the distance away to allow for clean undisturbed water to pass by the transducer as well as from the underside of the boat. Ie rivets etc.

Left or right shouldn't be the deciding factor except for having to go across the motors with the cabling. 🌻

As mentioned with the previous posts, it should be fine to mount under the ladder. So long as the transducer is not too close to the props, strakes or rivet lines (on aluminum hulls).

From what I researched as long as there's not transducer interference, the fishfinder should work fine.

The bubbles come after the prop. Mine have always been mounted Starboard, under the kicker and never any issues. On multiple boats.

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4888.jpg
    IMG_4888.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 27
Make sure you mount it to one side of your bunk or rollers and if you want to see bottom and mark baitballs at 20 mph it needs to be mounted an inch or 1/2 inch below the bottom of the boat. If it is level with the bottom it will be out of water while on plane. The downfall to that is it may create a rooster tail or spray water on the kicker, but it is nice to search for fish at cruising speed.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks