Trailer tires

jakerboy

Hello, The tires on our boat trailer are starting to crack around the raised lettering . They are going on 4 years old. They are Carlisle tires that came with the trailer . I always check the pressure before leaving and they are always covered. Should I be thinking of replacing them soon or are they okay with small cracks on the sidewall? I understand that Maxxis tires are the way to go for trailer tires. Are there any dealers in the London area? Thanks again for the help.

carlisle tyres are crap ,had them on my trailer, started to crack after two winters.
I now have hurcules tyres on and problem, in fact these days I take them off in winter and
store them in my garage.

I have had good luck with my good year marathon tires. I was always told to NEVER put any type of tire dressing on trailer tires as it aids in drying them out and they will start to crack.

I got 11 years out of my last Good Year Marathons and have had a new set on for 3 years and still like new. However, my boat is always parked in my garage when not in the water so I don't know how long they will last if left outside.

I've heard a lot of good about the Maxxis tires and my utility trailer came with them. I've had them for 3 years and is parked outside at the side of my garage year round and show no cracks, at least not yet. I can't comment on long term exposure when parked outside as it's still too early to tell. My buddy had a set of Carlisle's on a tandem trailer that were finished in 2 years, so I wouldn't buy them.

Maxxis Tires home base for Canada is in Brampton ON, here's their email for info so maybe they can give you a dealer here.
info@maxxiscanada.com

Carlisle tires used to be good... They are now made in China... I run Maxxis on my boat trailer for the last 3 years... Boat trailer tires should be changed every 5-6 years... Even though they look good with lots of tread the side walls take a beating and are timebombs after that...

Not disagreeing about the poor lifespan of Carlisle tires but just wanted to point out that Maxxis tires are made in Thailand and only some sizes of Goodyear Marathons are made in USA with most coming from overseas as well (mainly China). Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to buy Canadian or even buy North American in the trailer tire market. Regardless of where they are made, the Marathons (made after 2009) and Maxxis have performed far better than Carlisle tires by most reports.

The link Morecowbell posted is a great deal and I'd be all over that myself if I hadn't just replaced mine last year

Back