Trailer couplers

Windy Point

Would you think the common coupler found on basically any trailer going is stamped pressed cold roll steel or after stamp pressing they are heat treated to harden them?

Last edited:
I made one and got the stock from Sheet Metal SuperMarket and I just had to ask and they supplied me with what everyone uses for trailer hitches. Don't think they are hardened, it was okay to cut to length with my band saw and a bi-metal blade. I also have some pretty big weird size drill bits if you need help with a hole.

I appreciate the offer. 👍

My objective is: light weight coupler locks are all subjective to a rock or hammer so I want to shroud the lock. Welding up a custom shroud should protect the lock from impact. A shrouded lock should protect the lock if the trailer is attached to the truck or not. I have multiple ideas on how to do this depending on the lock style, but it does require welding to the coupler.

I appreciate the offer. 👍

My objective is: light weight coupler locks are all subjective to a rock or hammer so I want to shroud the lock. Welding up a custom shroud should protect the lock from impact. A shrouded lock should protect the lock if the trailer is attached to the truck or not. I have multiple ideas on how to do this depending on the lock style, but it does require welding to the coupler.
I don't know what boat you have, but if it is a good theft target the thieves are more brazen- they just clip it on with the safety chains (or bring their own gear). This happened to a friend's camper, they had it on the security video at the fenced storage place. He had a coupler lock, but no wheel lock.

Just make sure whatever you decide to do, it is what your insurance demands (so there is no question of you having done what you could).

My vessel is an old boat/motors combination (1996) but I am still paranoid some loser will exercise evil intentions.

At home, 2 locks, 4 security cameras and a car almost always parked in front of it.

At the marina, a neighborhood of familiarity and looking out for one another and someone in a trailer within 25ft of my dock.

If someone really wants the old boat, they'll figure out a way.🌻

True a planned out intention is almost impossible to safeguard against unless the boat/ trailer is in a locked compound. My focus is more towards the spontaneous act of opportunity at a random rarely used location, hence why I included a rock as a tool.

Chain thru the tire to the frame and a coupler lock should sifice if its not a brand new boat theyll see that and go to the next one ussally theres a problem in binbrook with 1500s getti g stolen but a simple steering wheel bar is enough to deter them not worth the time just move on to the next

I've had one of these on my cargo trailer parked at my workplace for 2 years. It's still there...:)

I've had one of these on my cargo trailer parked at my workplace for 2 years. It's still there...:)

Nice - thanks
After flipping through the choices I did find one would lock the trailer to the truck and secure the trailer when not attached to the truck. To make it bullet proof I would have to weld the coupler to the trailer neck so that couldn't be unbolted and weld the bolt/ nut at the trailer's swing arm so the coupler/ neck couldn't be removed. Hate thieves!

Do you recall, did you buy yours this side of the ditch or did you buy it from the States?

Nice - thanks
After flipping through the choices I did find one would lock the trailer to the truck and secure the trailer when not attached to the truck. To make it bullet proof I would have to weld the coupler to the trailer neck so that couldn't be unbolted and weld the bolt/ nut at the trailer's swing arm so the coupler/ neck couldn't be removed. Hate thieves!

Do you recall, did you buy yours this side of the ditch or did you buy it from the States?
I ordered from the US. No duty as US made. I think it came USPS but not 100% sure

Here is the one I like.

I decided , I'll take that idea and modify it so it will do bubble duty. Lock trailer to truck and secure the coupler when not attached to the truck.

1000001676.jpg

plasma cutters are under $1000 now........... heard a story of someone loosing their outboard because the thief just cut the engine off , transom and all !!

Anybody with a phone and free app can find airtags and most other trackers....the thieves have phones.
I don’t get why other people can track them. They should be hooked up to one account and not traceable from other users.

I was reading something about removing the microphone on them so others won’t hear it go off, or something like that. I haven’t really looked into them though

I don’t get why other people can track them. They should be hooked up to one account and not traceable from other users.

I was reading something about removing the microphone on them so others won’t hear it go off, or something like that. I haven’t really looked into them though
Your phone will actually give you a warning if an air tag is following you as well. It is to prevent people from planting one on you so they can track you without your knowledge. They aren't all exactly the same but most of them are pretty easy to find if you have the know-how.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks