Trail Cam Thoughts

fuse

Morning all, question about trail cams. My batteries melted or seem to have leaked and disabled my old camera's. I believe it was the repeated walk by from Anonymoose wearing various night gowns and burger king crowns. Strange combination but he pulled it off.

I had a couple Primo's truth camera's I picked up on sale a few years back, opened them up and placed them a couple days ago. When I set them up and tested them, I can hear an obvious noise when the take pic's. I had a concern and confirmed it a few days later.
All deer seem to notice and are looking at and/or investigating the camera. Squirrels had no issues and I believe the enjoyed performing for it. Anterless deer come the closest, small bucks in the middle and wary. The lone pic of something with 6pt or larger is 6 pics as it's on the outer edge, glaring in the direction of the camera. No question it heard it, saw it and avoided it. I have saw this once before, years ago with a cheap camera. The snow showed me the big buck would walk it's normal route, take a hard left for 50 feet, walk behind the camera and return to its normal route.
I have noticed some staelth cam pic's here with the older animals not seeming to pay attention. Any suggestions on brands and models to consider for some replacements?

Morning all, question about trail cams. My batteries melted or seem to have leaked and disabled my old camera's. I believe it was the repeated walk by from Anonymoose wearing various night gowns and burger king crowns. Strange combination but he pulled it off.

I had a couple Primo's truth camera's I picked up on sale a few years back, opened them up and placed them a couple days ago. When I set them up and tested them, I can hear an obvious noise when the take pic's. I had a concern and confirmed it a few days later.
All deer seem to notice and are looking at and/or investigating the camera. Squirrels had no issues and I believe the enjoyed performing for it. Anterless deer come the closest, small bucks in the middle and wary. The lone pic of something with 6pt or larger is 6 pics as it's on the outer edge, glaring in the direction of the camera. No question it heard it, saw it and avoided it. I have saw this once before, years ago with a cheap camera. The snow showed me the big buck would walk it's normal route, take a hard left for 50 feet, walk behind the camera and return to its normal route.
I have noticed some staelth cam pic's here with the older animals not seeming to pay attention. Any suggestions on brands and models to consider for some replacements?
Stealth cam what I use..
I have cheap ones. And had an expensive one that was damaged and never replaced.
Just put cameras high and angle them downward with a wedge behind them when you strap to the tree. if worried about the glow and slight clicks they make that should move them out of the way make them less noticable by the deer.

Pretty sure my Moultries are all silent and IR but critters are always looking at them. bucks included

Glad you liked those outfits.

The click is usually the movement of the IR filter that snaps across when switching from day mode to night mode. In theory this should be twice a day, but I have a cuddeback that likes to swap back and forth constantly and you can hear it. Most models have a foam pad to deaden the sound, but it could vary from cam to cam how well they were installed. I've never noticed it on my Moultries or WGI, but I'm not sure I've paid that much attention.

My rule for buying cams these days is just to buy cheap. They get broken or stolen sometimes, and I'd way rather have 2 cheap cams out than one good one.

I have wasted a lot of money on trail cameras . Cheap is not the way to go unless they are getting stolen .Gone through about ten over the years , won’t mention the name brand crappy ones . Had some good luck with Spy Point , just didn’t last long . My last two cameras have been Bushnell HD , Very reliable , long battery life , and excellent pictures . Tons of pics with deer nostrils at camera lens , not spooked , it must make a sound but doesn’t seem to bother them . Another neighbour has also settled on Bushnell . They also have a very quick reaction speed , don’t miss anything . My 10 cents worth !

I have a Bushnell as well and like it,, but it needs 12 batteries vrs 8

I have run Spypoint’s for quite a few years now and I am happy with them. I really like not having to go in to check my cards anymore. I started with one about 5 years ago and now I have 13 spread over 5 hunt areas including one up at my deer stand on manitoulin. I use a solar one up there that seems to have no issues staying charged up. The ones I use that are not solar I use the spypoint 12v batteries and it lasts me the season.

I’be been using cheap Campark game cameras from amazon both with spypoint cell links and without for about 3 years now. They run on 4aa batteries and do very well in my opinion. You can usually get them for about $50 each. I don’t notice any concern from deer in my pictures. I am using 2 tactacam reveals now as well. They are probably the best cell camera that I’ve used so far. They seem to catch signal just about anywhere, even spots where my spypoint stuff is about useless. I have one on the bear can at our place up north and one on my best stand down here and photos are excellent and very consistent! But for cheap trail cams with traditional cards the Camparks have done very well for me!

I have 2 Covert cameras I bought over 10 years ago that have taken thousands of good quality pictures day or night.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks