Off Topic Trackers

spincast

No, not the boat. Things that track the boat. Earlier this year, or maybe last year there was a thread on options for tracking boats if someone steals them, which seems to be a common practice. So anyway, I was chatting with my insurance folks earlier this week and apparently there is now a product that is having success in quickly locating and recovering the stolen vehicle/boat/ item. And it does not require we pay for a cellphone plan. So I thought I'd share.
According to my initial inquiries, they can be installed by any Speedy Auto glass, they last 5 years, and it runs around $500 (so, 100 bucks a year). Some insurance companies are offering discounts on policies when these are installed.

Hi @spincast
A less expensive option would be to use an apple AirTag and use that tracking system. Yes it's true that the thieves will be alerted that they are being tracked but with a bit of a hack... removing the speaker from the AirTag they have little to no chance of ever finding it faster than you can find them, especially if you are creative on where you put it and use multiple airtags.
They will likely abandon the whatever they stole as they know the cops are on to them.
A video showing how to remove the speaker

Yeah, except I can download an app for free that will tell me where the apple tracker is. Hey do what you want. Like I said this is recommended by insurance companies. Ever see an insurance ompanynoffer a discount for an apple tracker ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks