Off Topic Track install location. Your opinion please

fireram

Hello.
I wish to install some track for four rod holders and two riggers.

Having never used trolling equipment before I could use some advise befor I drill and bolt my track down to the boat.

I have an 8' length of track Trying to decide where to put it.

Option 1:
Cut the track into a four foot and 2 two foot sections.
I have a hand rail around the back of the boat. I could remove that and install the track in its place. With a four foot section across the back and two 2' section on each side.
I just didn't think across the back would be best due to the engine cover in the way of the middle of the track.

Option 2:
Cut my track in half and put a four foot section on each side of the boat.

Option 2-A put the track where the hand rail is. This position would mean that the track would be covered by the travel tarp, but the holders and riggers would still need to come off for travel.

Option 2-B put the track outside of the handrail where the tie down cleat is. This would be outside the travel cover and the rod holders could be left in place for travel to and from the launch. I would have to attach the tie down cleat to the track, and also install pieces of non skid step material were we climb in.

I'm leaning toward 2-B.

Thanks for your input.
IMG_4154.JPGIMG_4155.JPGIMG_4157.JPG

in general, that railing would drive me insane. having the mounting bracket across the back could make keeping lines apart a bit more difficult. I'd go for two sides. Also, on the two sides, you have a bit of a dip there, as you stand in the boat and pretend you're taking a rod out of a holder, the less distance you have to reach likely the better. That inch or two likely will make a difference. Ergonomics etc. Make sure that wherever you mount the riggers have a TON of support underneath. They can put a lot of pressure on the mount.

I'd go on the side as well. Probably where the rail is. I like to have my riggers mounted closer to the inside so when the dock jumps over and grabs me it hits the rub rail not the riggers. Yes I have to take my holders off to put the cover on but not a biggie.

I like the 2b option..... But you know the track does not have to be one piece .. Just my thoughts ...
:)

2-B 4 feet on each side. You can mount riggers at back of track and spread out your rod holders on the remaining track. My CC Campion has 3 rod holders on each side with berts track and 2 small pieces of Berts track on the back for my Scotty riggers. Double click on the picture to enlarge it for viewing

Attachments

• side pic.jpg
    side pic.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks