Towing 4000kms with our Tesla Model Y…

I drive about 25000 km/yr on my commuter car. My current shitbox was $2000 and I've had it 5 years, so cost of ownership is 400/year and gas at 6.3L/100km at $1.50/L is $2363, making my annual ownership plus gas costing me $2763. That's ignoring maintenance and insurance.

Tesla Model 3 is $52000 by the website. Not accounting for loan costs, lets call that $5200/yr for 10 years. Lets pretend electricity is free, and ignore maintainance and insurance. It still costs double what I'm spending on a shitbox car. Admittedly, most of my shitboxes don't last me 5 years, but I could buy another shitbox every year and still keep up.

Now if the model 3 lasts me 20 years, the equation balances out, as long as electricity is free. I don't have that sort of confidence in battery technology.

Maybe I've missed something big in the math here. I know I'm over-simplifying. Definitely wish I was billing those km at $0.58 though! $14500 billable for my $2763 investment would be nice.

I dunno, but to me I'd rather pay than ride in a shitbox.

I'm no baller, I roll in a Chevy pickup with cloth seats. It is shiny and newish though.

I was contemplating the same vehicle with the tow package after my lease on the QX60 is up. Nope, not gonna do that now.

I have done that trip in a day… no way I’m gonna waste a day or 2 with the drop in mileage and the hopes of a charging station. That’s insane.

And an advertised drop in range of 30 percent at temps under 10 degrees (musky season),,, I’m out.

To each their own! I get more out of abusing and not caring about my car than I would out of babying something pretty or expensive. Style isn't a factor for me.
Shit box operator here as well lol. I buy a beater and commute to work with it. Keeps the kms off my F350. Not sure about the $ saving numbers but the 2001 superduty odometer is at 280K not 600K.
I work on my own vehicles. If you didn’t I Could see beaters not being price friendly.

Thank you for doing this video, with real numbers.
I was thinking to buy the Tesla Y, but it wouldn't make sense financialy because yearly drive is around 10,000 km.
On a side note, last year we towed the 16 ft Lund boat around lake Huron and Superior with Hyundai Palisade and the mileage was around 11 liters per 100 km.
Thanks again.

Yeah I've done 10,000 KMs in six weeks!! lol The big savings for us in with all of the mileage I put on the car for work... and my kids hockey and such.. but mainly work, which is billable mileage... so it's cash in my pocket every month.

We are going to have to buy something newer as our secondary vehicle, which can also tow the boat when needed. But we're not sure what to get because trucks are stupid expensive, and we need it to tow up to 40000k pounds comfortably.

Also, that's incredible mileage with your Palisade!

Yea, I meant the end of the century when the last ICE vehicles would have aged out and then the ICE would be relegated to history.

I don't think the 2030 thing will happen. We need to figure out how to generate a lot more electricity and how to move it before that happens.

My bet: nuclear fusion. Tidal power hydrogen looks exciting too.

Gotcha.. yeah I agree with regards to the end of the century... 100%!!

2030 is a pipe dream... and I drive an electric car! lol
I drive about 25000 km/yr on my commuter car. My current shitbox was $2000 and I've had it 5 years, so cost of ownership is 400/year and gas at 6.3L/100km at $1.50/L is $2363, making my annual ownership plus gas costing me $2763. That's ignoring maintenance and insurance.

Tesla Model 3 is $52000 by the website. Not accounting for loan costs, lets call that $5200/yr for 10 years. Lets pretend electricity is free, and ignore maintainance and insurance. It still costs double what I'm spending on a shitbox car. Admittedly, most of my shitboxes don't last me 5 years, but I could buy another shitbox every year and still keep up.

Now if the model 3 lasts me 20 years, the equation balances out, as long as electricity is free. I don't have that sort of confidence in battery technology.

Maybe I've missed something big in the math here. I know I'm over-simplifying. Definitely wish I was billing those km at $0.58 though! $14500 billable for my $2763 investment would be nice.
I’ve tried the “shitbox” route quite recently actually. I bought a used Acadia for $3000.00 when we started building our house. Because I didn’t want to show any debt when we went to borrow money from the bank.

In a year and a half that piece of shit ran me 3k to purchase, 10K in repairs, plus $2200.00 a month in fuel. And it left my staff stranded on the side of the 401 for hours. That’s 52K to drive a shitbox for 18 months. And that doesn’t include insurance.

To each their own, but I’ll never go the shitbox route again. I’m happy to pay $850.00 per month for my brand new car which will be under warranty as long as I own it. I’m planning to trade it in before its warranty is up and just accept that I’ll always have a monthly payment.

The Tesla pays for itself, and I have a reliable vehicle for myself, my family and my staff on occasion. To each their own man… This works for us, and I’m genuinely happy that your way works for you!!! It’s just not for me. 🤟🏼🤟🏼

Excellent video (y)

Nothing against shitboxes or e-cars but the examples are opposite extremes. $2200 per month in fuel is astonishingly high… even at today’s high fuel prices that would be 800km per day in my regular ICE commuter! Or with the example of 10000km every 6 weeks, that would mean averaging 20L/100km. Many ICE commuter cars much cheaper than a Tesla could cut that by two thirds (i.e. save ~$1400 month). I think that’s the fairer comparison, though EV will probably still make sense with the high mileage.

In any case, very interesting to see the real life towing performance

Yeah I've done 10,000 KMs in six weeks!! lol The big savings for us in with all of the mileage I put on the car for work... and my kids hockey and such.. but mainly work, which is billable mileage... so it's cash in my pocket every month.

We are going to have to buy something newer as our secondary vehicle, which can also tow the boat when needed. But we're not sure what to get because trucks are stupid expensive, and we need it to tow up to 40000k pounds comfortably.

Also, that's incredible mileage with your Palisade!

Gotcha.. yeah I agree with regards to the end of the century... 100%!!

2030 is a pipe dream... and I drive an electric car! lol

I’ve tried the “shitbox” route quite recently actually. I bought a used Acadia for $3000.00 when we started building our house. Because I didn’t want to show any debt when we went to borrow money from the bank.

In a year and a half that piece of shit ran me 3k to purchase, 10K in repairs, plus $2200.00 a month in fuel. And it left my staff stranded on the side of the 401 for hours. That’s 52K to drive a shitbox for 18 months. And that doesn’t include insurance.

To each their own, but I’ll never go the shitbox route again. I’m happy to pay $850.00 per month for my brand new car which will be under warranty as long as I own it. I’m planning to trade it in before its warranty is up and just accept that I’ll always have a monthly payment.

The Tesla pays for itself, and I have a reliable vehicle for myself, my family and my staff on occasion. To each their own man… This works for us, and I’m genuinely happy that your way works for you!!! It’s just not for me. 🤟🏼🤟🏼
Nothing wrong with having a EV, but isn't for everyone either. I would rather buy a used ICE vehicle than a used EV strictly on the potential battery replacement cost.

Excellent video (y)

Nothing against shitboxes or e-cars but the examples are opposite extremes. $2200 per month in fuel is astonishingly high… even at today’s high fuel prices that would be 800km per day in my regular ICE commuter! Or with the example of 10000km every 6 weeks, that would mean averaging 20L/100km. Many ICE commuter cars much cheaper than a Tesla could cut that by two thirds (i.e. save ~$1400 month). I think that’s the fairer comparison, though EV will probably still make sense with the high mileage.

In any case, very interesting to see the real life towing performance
Yeah it’s not really a regular commuter car… I travel all over Canada and the USA for work. I film commercials and corporate videos for a living and all of my shoots are hours upon hours away. I often leave at 4 am… drive 4 hours, film from 8:30-4ish then drive home until 8pm…. Then all of my kids play hockey, and my girls play competitive so it’s a 4-5 hour round trip almost daily from the end of August until April just for their hockey. When I’m in the office one of my staff will be running around with it too. I need it to be big enough to fit all of my camera gear, or a few kids and their hockey gear for carpooling. Also need it to be reliable and run safe in the snow if I’m running North or towards New York or Chicago in the winter months. I’m kind of a very different situation. Sometimes I’m filling the tank a couple of times per day.

Really appreciate the feedback!! It was a fun video to make… but I won’t be rushing to tow our boat that far with the Tesla anytime soon! lol

Nothing wrong with having a EV, but isn't for everyone either. I would rather buy a used ICE vehicle than a used EV strictly on the potential battery replacement cost.
Yeah I wouldn’t be rushing to buy a used EV either… it’s still too new… but I’m comfortable with buying a new one.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks